This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen resolution problem to TV

I have a Samsung 42in LCD and it has both a PC(VGA) input and HDMI inputs. There's no actual DVI input on the TV, so I bought a DVI to HDMI cable, which is apparently the same signaling, just a different connector. Well when I hook it up with the VGA cable, the graphics work just fine, no real problem, one minor one i'll mention in a minute. But when I plug it in as HDMI, The resolution seems to be really high, but I'm only getting the top left corner of the screen. For some reason the computer and TV are at different resolutions so it's only displaying part of the picture. Anyone ever try anything like this? It's an XFX nvidia 9500GT graphics card.

The other tiny issue I'm having that I just kinda find odd is that when I'm running at 1920*1024 resolution, the taskbar at the bottom of the screen only takes up like 3/4 of the screen instead of stretching all the way across.

Re: Screen resolution problem to TV

Originally posted by staubsaugen

The other tiny issue I'm having that I just kinda find odd is that when I'm running at 1920*1024 resolution, the taskbar at the bottom of the screen only takes up like 3/4 of the screen instead of stretching all the way across.
    That's normal -- same happens on mine at 1600x1200. You can make it full width if you want -- click the cashew at the right end, and a black "adjuster" pops up, with sliding arrows -- it's fairly intuitive.

On the other issue, I think you need to just treat that LCD TV like a monitor. I'm not sure about DVI-to-HDMI conversion -- you may or may not be correct about that. But, if you're correct, and assuming you're running the Nvidia driver, run the nvidia-settings utility (in your Kmenu>System menu) and click "detect display" and it should get the signature of the monitor and then you should be able to set the resolution.

Hmmm, that's a lot of "shoulds", huh?

But, as you say, I've connected up a laptop to my Samsung TV, and showed photos -- no issues, when used as a VGA display.

Comment

The toolbar thing I got working.

There's alot of things that "should" just work, but it wouldn't be linux if they did. The DVI-HDMI cable works perfectly fine under windows. I've also hooked up my 20.1in Dell widescreen with a DVI connection so that works. So both the TV and the graphics card/computer do work fine with DVI, it's just the combination of TV and linux that it seems to have some sort of issue with. Any other thoughts?

Comment

I think I know what I need to do. Anyone else having problems with displays working properly in linux when they work fine with windows, look at the following:
        http://www.x.org/wiki/FAQVideoModes

There's a program called PowerStrip that'll get all the correct monitor information to use in linux.

Comment

Aha -- good stuff to know! Thanks!

Comment

Just to follow up, I tried the modeline thing and it didn't seem to fix my problem for me

Comment

Working...
            X