This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

App to force resolution?

I installed Kubuntu Intrepid on my new HD after finding out that apart from the video driver which I couldn't test on the LiveCD, it did everything I needed. Unlike the LiveCD, which wouldn't go to a desktop, the local install came up fine. I installed the recommended nVidia drivers (can't remember which ones off the top of my head) and it rebooted fine... everything seems to work. EXCEPT no matter what, using VESA before or nVidia now, I can only do 640x480 57Hz. Even in the nVidia configuration utility, it won't let me do anything but 640x480. I manually put the modes in to let me do 1280x1024 in xorg.conf, but that doesn't do anything. Is there some application in KDE4 like there is in Ubuntu Intrepid that will let me manually configure my monitor?

Re: App to force resolution?

Perhaps try what I did in my recent post that resolved this problem. I found that several important lines are missing from xorg.conf in Kubuntu 8.10. I was able to figure out what those lines should be by installing PCLinuxOS, but maybe you can figure that out a different way. Take a look at the thread I started and look at the solution. My problem was similar to yours, so perhaps my solution will work for you.

Comment

I am also having nightmare with my installation, ATI never works over 800x600, and nvidia with unreadable fonts in Openoffice and few other apps, my xorg.conf is empty I don't know why, it takes lot of time and effort to work out the proper configuration, I don't know why the old version works much better than this, and stupid enough the kcontrol is removed in this new and improved release, putting us back into the stone age > > >
      Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

It does seem odd to me that someone as forward looking as the Kubuntu folks (or is it the KDE folks?) would remove something that is so obviously necessary. Just in the one day I was researching this problem, I saw lots of people in many forums having similar issues and many of them stem from the fact that we can't do something as simple as tell the system what sort of monitor we have. Very strange.

Comment

Working...
        X