Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steps for installing video drivers? (note: for me, it's nvidia)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steps for installing video drivers? (note: for me, it's nvidia)

Could someone provide instructions for installing the video drivers? If you have your own, a sticky or something else?

I have an Nvidia EVGA 7950 GT and my screen has constant tearing. I am hoping installing the correct drivers will solve this. If not, I might have to pass and install either another distro or Ubuntu. What woudl you do?!?

I know there's a menu item of 'Hardware Drivers' and there's the option to install proprietary drivers. Is that it?

I like to use Synaptic and I noticed some sections on Nvidia there. I don't need that? Envy is also listed there. So, which method should I choose? Which do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Doesn't anyone have tearing all over their screen? Surely, I'm not the only one with an Nvidia 7900 series card. I'm not sure if any ATI cards are doing this. I don't like the idea of having to upgrade because Kubuntu has a bug when hosting a system with a 7900 series card. :-/

Re: Steps for installing video drivers? (note: for me, it's nvidia)

I decided to try 'Hardware Drivers' from the KDE menu.

It worked but after it installed, KMix crashed. I think another Kubuntu user commented on this, too.

Kmix crashes after installing Nvidia proprietary drivers.

Signal 6 (SIGABRT)

Anyway, I am certain there are still 'video' bugs going on. When I click to open OpenOffice, it starts up but when you get the word processor screen, the screen goes really bananas (white/grey colours) for a split second. I don't care what you say, that is NOT normal. For any OS. I am sure someone will blame it on my card. Except that doesn't happen with any of the other distros I use. So, I will not accept that excuse, sorry.

I think my observations should be helping, too, and I should not be criticized for my complaints. Oh well...

Comment

Re: Steps for installing video drivers? (note: for me, it's nvidia)

Take a look at this how to on installing envy-ng:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...86621#msg86621

Comment

Working...
      X