This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen resolutiion woes still

I know I've #itched about this before, but after my TV/monitor died on my desktop system, I started using a monitor on loan until I get a new one. This monitor being relatively new compared to what I was using I thought I'd finally get to have my 1440x900 resolution without "tricks". WRONG! Is Kubuntu not capable of detecting WS formats??!! They don't even show up under Display or KRandR. Customizing Xorg.conf is futile as it is apparent that the "auto" portions tend to override that. Is there no way to ever go back to customizing that manually? I think a great deal has been lost with the removal of that ability. If the system can't detect it proper, then I should be able to manually tell it what to use knowing the parameters. Why not!!?? >

Re: Screen resolutiion woes still

Hm... I'm afraid I don't know how to do that either (not that I'd have to with my bog standard monitor). Let us know once you find out, please.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

So far what I've read is there are issues with Intel Display Cards, especially the embedded ones. Which I don't understand why it isn't being addressed. Most systems I've looked at come like that now. I've run across a few that may have ATI or InVidia embeded, but few. Most have always been Intel. Really frustrating. Perfectly good monitor and can't even enjoy it to the fullest. Does the same under Ubuntu. Haven't tired my Puppy USB install. Might do that. Again, it seems it isn't the monitor but rather how the Display Card is handling it. I've had other "issues" with my display relating to the Intel Display chip and the Driver that is used. >

Comment

Hm, a bummer indeed. I am also considering upgrading my box from the 2600+ AMD processor to something a little quicker and I was going to use an on-board graphic card since my current one (NVIDIA GeForce 5200) doesn't fit on any of the new MBs.

Any reason why you want to use 8.10 rather than 8.04? Not sure whether KDE4.x is being backported to 8.04...
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I thought Kubuntu hated ATI only, but now I know they hated Intel as well, nidivia seems to work better but still buggy, but my Puppy likes them all, sorry I don't have widescreen to test.
          Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

Yep. Just tried puppy and I can set and use 1440x900. That's a little annoying. I would expect Ubuntu/Kubuntu to have a handle on this function. I mention Ubuntu because the Live-CD couldn't use that resolution either.

Comment

Well, I don't know what has changed except running Puppy before shutting down. Haven't used the system since until now, but for some reason I have all available Resolutions. Weird and annoying!

Comment

nvidia works better on my system and I don't have super high res. monitor, the only problem now is the ugly unreadable fonts on Openoffice and few other apps, ATI has no such problem but never get pass 800x600, I tried everything I can find on the internet but can't get a fix to it.
                Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

Working...
                X