X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few minor issues vith sound and video

Hello everyone!

Well here is my problem, first I only have sound coming at boot and restart/shutdown. I am running on an Inspiron 1525. Second, my video displays at the correct resolution 1280x800 but when I open a web browser for a split second everything looks distorted. I have the gma965 chipset/x3100. Are there updated drivers for this? I checked intels website but I have no clue as to how I would install them. (im fairly new to linux) I have a seperate partition with vista ultimate and another with Mac OS X on it but I wiped out the hackbook partition in favor of this distro (Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex). Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Re: A few minor issues vith sound and video

Is the distortion on the display only temporary and then looks ok? If so I also get this but it's never really bothered me and I assume it will get straightened out as the drivers improve.

The sound is probably a master volume issue:

Check the settings of the KMix volume control, there should be an icon on the panel, normally this will have a single slider for volume but if you click on the button labelled 'Mixer' it should open up a range of mixer controls, the number of controls depends on your sound card; if you've got more than one soundcard there will be a separate tab for each one.

You may see a 'Master' control but in my case there wasn't a Master but one labelled 'PCM' which was set to minimum by default. PCM sets the volume before the sound leaves the soundcard, once I increased this I could hear the audio and was able to adjsut the other controls until everything was to my satisfaction.
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Re: A few minor issues vith sound and video

Ok, thanks. That fixed my sound issues. Yeah the distortion is only temporary for a split second, but it still irritates me. Hopefully the driver issues get fixed soon.

On another note, I downloaded a theme for kubuntu and followed the instructions for setting it up but it really didnt do anything. Ill update the post with the link to the theme.

Comment

Working...
      X