X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some thoughts on Kubuntu 8.10/KDE 4.1

Hello to the group and good day.

I use Ubuntu 8.4 and it is my "main OS" but after a failed upgrade of Kubuntu, I installed Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.1 on the same machine.

It seems that Kubuntu 8.10/KDE 4.1 is still a "work in progress"...on first boot, I only had a screen resolution of 800x600- after I installed the NVIDIA restricted drivers, I have a better resolution- I'm not sure exactly what it is because whenever I click on the display icon in Settings, the screen goes black and is unsupported. I have to reboot.

A minor irritant is the opening musical splash screen jingle does not finish.

I realize that all Linux distros are a "work in progress" and I'll wait for further upgrades.

One needs to be patient...

Linux is worth the wait.

Re: Some thoughts on Kubuntu 8.10/KDE 4.1

what version of the nvidia driver are you using cause the "legacy" drivers are not working correctly w/ the version of xorg that is included w/ 8.10

now i know from doing that you can install the driver for the geforce4go but it is very far from perfect. i lose a lot of odd items when i have it installed. all my menu text is gone. if you card is one that uses this driver you better off using the "nv" driver.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: Some thoughts on Kubuntu 8.10/KDE 4.1

Originally posted by labtek
      Hello to the group and good day.

I use Ubuntu 8.4 and it is my "main OS" but after a failed upgrade of Kubuntu, I installed Kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.1 on the same machine.

It seems that Kubuntu 8.10/KDE 4.1 is still a "work in progress"...on first boot, I only had a screen resolution of 800x600- after I installed the NVIDIA restricted drivers, I have a better resolution- I'm not sure exactly what it is because whenever I click on the display icon in Settings, the screen goes black and is unsupported. I have to reboot.

A minor irritant is the opening musical splash screen jingle does not finish.

I realize that all Linux distros are a "work in progress" and I'll wait for further upgrades.

One needs to be patient...

Linux is worth the wait.
      Yes I agree Linux is worth the wait.

But it sure can try your paintence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      I &quot;NEVER&quot; Discuss 3 things.<br />Religion, Politics, and the Great Pumpkin.<br />Linus from A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Comment

Working...
      X