This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding drive space, partitioning.

Ok, so i installed Kubuntu 4.x on my boyfriends laptop, i partitioned the drive because i figured he might want windows as a dual boot till he got accustomed to linux. Well he now just wants Kubuntu. So i want to format the rest of the drive to be used with the linux partition, the other partition is currently a version a fat (This is a dell laptop, and it has that Dell PBR that looks for a windows OS, and if it doesnt find a drive in either NTFS or FAT it wont bootup)( I never ended up installing windows) How can i go about adding the rest of the drive to the linux partition, while keeping that PBR locator finding what it wants , and adding the rest of the drive without deleting the kubuntu OS?

Re: Adding drive space, partitioning.

Wow, I think this might be a question for Dell's chief design engineer! :P

Well, what if you make that "windows" partition really, really small? Is that a cheap and easy way to fool the PBR? I don't know what "PBR" is, but if it is hardwired into the BIOS, you're going to have to compromise with it, I suspect.

Comment

Re: Adding drive space, partitioning.

The capabilities of GParted Live CD partitiion editor are described here:
      GParted how-to: http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted
      Might give you some ideas.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
      X