This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu mounting devices/partitions

Kubuntu doesn't do a very good job at setting up additional hard drives or partitions to automatically mount during boot. Anyway, I've got a 40 gig hard drive fat32 format for storing data. Kubuntu doesn't mount it by default so I added to my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1 /media/40GIG/ vfat defaults 0 0

However, sometimes it doesn't mount, and I discover the sometimes the device is actually found at /dev/sdb1 ! What the?

Any ideas what the problem might be. It is a pata hard drive and also has the dvd rw on the same cable.

Thanks

Lionel.

Re: Kubuntu mounting devices/partitions

Hi there,

if you look at your fstab you will notice that the /dev/sdx# bit is commented out and replaced by a UUID. You can find out the UUID by running
    Code:
    blkid -L
    HTH
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks. I've updated fstab and it has mounted correctly using "mount" so will check on next boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lionel van den Berg

Kubuntu doesn't do a very good job at setting up additional hard drives or partitions
        *buntu doesn't do any kind of job at setting up additional hard drives or partitions.

Having 5 hard drives, and a total of about a dozen partitions on my desktop system, I'm painfully aware of this situation. However, if you prefer your partitions mounted on "music", "videos", "docs", "images", "backups", etc., i.e. meaningful mount point names, then there's no way for the installer to anticipate your preferred arrangement, so you're pretty much doomed to editing /etc/fstab after the installation anyway.

I've installed at least one of the distros that sets up "disk1", "disk2" ... "disk12" for me -- that really didn't help much.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          *buntu doesn't do any kind of job at setting up additional hard drives or partitions.
          I always select the manual partitioning option. That allows me to select any partitions that I want to mount, and assign any mount points that I want for them. As you point out, letting an installer set up additional mount points isn't particularly helpful.

Comment

As you point out, letting an installer set up additional mount points isn't particularly helpful.
            fwiw - I have a number of partitions (like dibl) such as /multimedia, /personal, /downloads and what have you which I enter during the install process - obviously this only works under the manual partitioning screen - and I have never experienced any problems with any Linux.
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Originally posted by Lionel van den Berg

Kubuntu doesn't do a very good job at setting up additional hard drives or partitions

Having 5 hard drives, and a total of about a dozen partitions on my desktop system, I'm painfully aware of this situation. However, if you prefer your partitions mounted on "music", "videos", "docs", "images", "backups", etc., i.e. meaningful mount point names, then there's no way for the installer to anticipate your preferred arrangement, so you're pretty much doomed to editing /etc/fstab after the installation anyway.

I've installed at least one of the distros that sets up "disk1", "disk2" ... "disk12" for me -- that really didn't help much.

I've always been satisfied with the way Mandriva sets up my drives.

Comment

Working...
              X