Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Display problems (i865G + wide-screen LCD)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display problems (i865G + wide-screen LCD)

I've recently installed 8.10 on my desktop, which has an intel 865G graphics controller and a wide-screen monitor. So far, I've been unable to convince X to use my monitor's native 1280x768 resolution. The closest I've gotten is with this xorg.conf:

Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier   "Configured Video Device"
        Driver     "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Configured Monitor"
        HorizSync    47.73
        VertRefresh   60
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier   "Default Screen"
        Monitor     "Configured Monitor"
        Device     "Configured Video Device"

SubSection "Display"
            Depth  24
            Modes  "1280x768"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Strangely, this causes X to go into 1360x768 mode, which my monitor doesn't even support according to its documentation.

I've had problems with intel graphics controllers and resolutions in the past. Apparently, their video BIOSs are notorious for incorrectly reporting the modes they support. In previous versions of kubuntu, I've succesfully used the 915resolution tool to work around this problem. Unfortunately, it seems that 915resolution is no longer available in 8.10. A quick googling tells me that it's been obsoleted:

"The 915resolution package becomes obsolete with the newer xorg, especially if you have the xserver-xorg-video-intel package installed. Newer xorg brings modesetting support by default."

The only other suggestion I've fouind was running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. But when I try that, the only display-related prompt I get asks whether or not I want to use the framebuffer interface. In the end, it outputs an absolutely minimal xorg.conf configured to use the "vesa" driver.

I'm at a complete loss now. Any help in getting my native resolution back would be greatly appreciated.
Working...
X