Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to view or change the video driver in Kubuntu 8.10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to view or change the video driver in Kubuntu 8.10?

Hello everyone, in Kubuntu 8.04 I can use System Settings | Monitor & Display | Hardware | Graphics Card configure to view/set video driver. (such as change i810 or nv into vesa)

In Kubuntu 8.10 it seems that no where to view/set video driver, I installed Ku8.10 in vbox (guest is Ku 8.10, host is Ku 8.04) . I want to see what is the current video driver and change it to 'vmware'

I opened /etc/X11/xorg.conf and found nothing, there is no video driver specified.

Any hint?

Re: How to view or change the video driver in Kubuntu 8.10?

I'm kind of curious about this as well as I'm having video issues with Ibex. It seems like XOrg is using more resources than it should on my laptop. With Hardy Heron I had no issues watching a video or using an emulator, however in Ibex, watching a video is like watching a DVD with a layer-break every 15 seconds. Using an emulator of any kind is the same...

My Ibex has a serious stutter that needs to be fixed...

Comment

In the system menu there's an application called "Hardware Drivers" (or something like that, I have not installed in English) It will show you a number of choices for using proprietary HW drivers if there are any for your graphics card. Warning, read the release notes as if your card is old it could be unsupported. There are many fixes documented in this forum if that's the case.

Beware of any graphics benchmarks under a virtual machine. They usually emulate a low end graphics card hardware and you're not going to get the option to install a proprietary driver.

Comment

Nothing is showing up under the "Hardware Drivers" app... And my system's graphics are still stuttering every 15 seconds or so... Guess we'll just have to wait for the next update to XOrg...

Comment

I have the same prob !! Just Installed kUbuntu and trying to watch a film but freezes every few seconds.. What graphics card do you have ? Mine is intel xma 3100. But /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not saying much.. Do I have to install the driver manually or it comes with the install cd ?

Comment

Under System | Hardware drivers , Ibex will show if you have an ATI or nvidia card and ask if you want to install the proprietary driver, however in the case of ATI at least, this fails because there is on xorg.conf file
            Any solutions?
            HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Check this http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0 - #7 is of particular interest to you.
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
              X