Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logitec QuickCam Express (old) no longer works now that I have upgraded.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logitec QuickCam Express (old) no longer works now that I have upgraded.

Before upgrading to 8.10, I had a working Logitech QuickCam Express. It really is good in that like many things Linux, it does one thing only and it does it well - it does exactly what it says on the tin... It's a wonderfully basic little thing that cost me next to nothing and is more than what I need. It was so good (and more importantly, cheap) that I bought five of them and distributed them liberally amongst all my family.

I was able to use the webcam in Skype to make video calls to the family back home - and all was well with the world.

However, since upgrading to 8.10, it's all gone a bit pear-shaped. Whilst I still have a /dev/video0 trying to "Test" for it in Skype only produces horizontal fuzzyness and then more often than not, Skype crashes and dies.

Whatever happens, I can't get a single picture at all on the webcam. And I am considerably confused...

Where do I start, trying to work out how to get it back working again? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bag.

Re: Logitec QuickCam Express (old) no longer works now that I have upgraded.

Unfortunately quite a few web cams have stopped working (including mine), this has nothing to do with 8.10 however, but with the newer kernel 2.6.27-*. Although 2.6.27 was supposed to give much greater support for web cams, it also had regressions (mine being one) .

We might see these regressions fixed in future, but I'm not holding my breath, I was contemplating buying a new web cam that worked with 2.6.27, but who's to say that the next kernel would not regress that one. In one sense I think it is admiral that web cams are supported within the kernel, but sometimes I think it would be better to have a driver you download for your specific cam type.

sorry I can't be of help.
    Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Re: Logitec QuickCam Express (old) no longer works now that I have upgraded.

Thanks sjhstorm - although it doesn't solve the problem, it does explain what might have gone wrong.

Very annoying. I'm not exactly living in suburbia and even if I was to buy a new webcam, it's not an easy affair... we quite literally live in a very remote location (hence our use of Skype a lot to keep in touch with the family etc). Getting to a civilised city with a computer shop won't be happening for the next four months and getting one imported isn't easy either... Hmm... I'll have to have a think.

In the meantime, if anyone else knows if there's a work-around to these regressions, then please please let me know.

Thanks.

Bag.

Comment

Working...
      X