X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creative Zen MicroPhoto Cannot Be Read

Hello, Everyone--

I have a Creative Zen MicroPhoto MP3 player. I have music files on an external hard drive that sit on an Ext3 file system. I am dual-booting windoze vista and Kubuntu. Windows will not read the external drive. Kubuntu will not read the MP3 player. I am trying to get Kubuntu to read the MP3 player so that I can transfer the music files to the MP3 player. Is there an app out there that I have missed in Adept that will allow me to do this?? Or is there some alternative way to get Kubuntu to show my MP3 player?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Regards,
    theAdmiral

Re: Creative Zen MicroPhoto Cannot Be Read

Install the package mtpfs (via Adept Manager, Synaptic, or the CLI):
    FUSE filesystem for Media Transfer Protocol devices

MTPfs is a FUSE filesystem that supports reading and writing from MTP (Media
    Transfer Protocol) devices, such as MP3 players, video players or digital
    cameras.

In addition to revealing media files on the connected device, MTPfs exposes a
    virtual directory called "/Playlists" which contains the device's playlists as
    m3u files.
    Improved MTP Support For Linux
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So, I have got MTPFS installed, read some documentation, what next? It still doesn't read the device.

theAdmiral

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog. This was helpful and corrective. Problem solved, once again.

theAdmiral

Comment

Comment

Snowhog, I am truly sorry about this. But, I jumped the gun with my accolades to you. I tried the solution that you suggested, and it is very problematic. Dolphin is choking up with the file transfers, and so is Konqueror. I also tried Commander, and it, too, is choking up. Don't know what else to do. Do you

Comment

Ok,

I have had to leave this project alone for a few days, and now I have a little spare time to return to it. Here is an update, although there is not much of one. I have tried to mount the MP3 player, and it doesn't mount. The solution that is offered by some girl by the name of ZenChick doesn't want to work on my machine. I read on the forum posting that Snowhog referred me to, that ZenChick can be looked up on irc.freenode.net (#AnythingButiPod). Now, I am trying to konfigure Konversation to get connected to that channel. Can someone help with this, please? This is the first time that I have used irc in Linux.

Comment

Ok,

So, I have configured Konversation and *the program* seems to be running smoothly. However, I am not. How do you run a chat session? I am checking to see if anyone is there by entering messages and I am getting errors like the first word of the message is an unknown command.

Thanks,
                theAdmiral

Comment

yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

At last

I have spent years having to use Gnomad and then amarok and it was not the easiest experience although a million thanks to those who developed the programmes

Now I can get this sorted using konqueror.

BTW for me, I needed to delve a little deeper than just installing mptfs for the others who might want to try this there is an excellent guide here:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=32817

But in a nutshell here is what I did

Fire up a terminal :

sudo apt-get install mtpfs

Got libmtp and libmtp-doc already through adept so use that to install the pair of them if you have not. It never work via konsole for me??

Once all of that is installed, you will need to create a mountpoint for your device.

sudo mkdir /media/MyZen 

(or what ever name you want to give it- Percy or Rupert!)

then

sudo chmod 775 /media/MyZen

I connected my Creative Zen Extra and had to mount it using the following command

sudo mtpfs -o allow_other /media/MyZen

I saw then the connected display on the mp3 player and heard it kick in

Now here I differ from the advice on the anythingbutipod page as nothing appeared on my desktop as suggested however not to be determined and because I was now in a bad mood I opened konquerer and entered /media/

and there it was !!!!!!!!!!!

listed next to all the cdroms external hdds etc etc

You must unmount it when you remove it every time using this command:

sudo umount /media/MyZen

Hope that helps others with creative zen extra's  like me
                  Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Originally posted by theAdmiral
                    Ok,

So, I have configured Konversation and *the program* seems to be running smoothly. However, I am not. How do you run a chat session? I am checking to see if anyone is there by entering messages and I am getting errors like the first word of the message is an unknown command.

Thanks,
                    theAdmiral
                    Hey ...I have just logged onto this ...you online now? then I will guide you through
                    Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

How do I log into Konversation? It is kickin' my u 'no wut!

theAdmiral

Comment

sudo chmod 775 /media/MyZen
                        I am getting an error with this reading that a "Can't access: Transport endpoint is not connected"

Comment

Have you created the mount point in /media?
                          Code:
                          sudo mkdir /media/MyZen

Comment

Snowhog,

Yes, I have.

theAdmiral

Comment

I had that a couple of times. Unmounted it again and tried again and it worked fine

Comment

Working...
                              X