This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display problem with KDE

have a strange problem with Kubuntu with KDE 4.1.2. Basically the screen goes blank for about half a second on a regular basis. If there is no keyboard or mouse activity it happens every 10 - 15 seconds or so. Moving the mouse or using the keyboard and it occurs every 2-3 secs or so, bloody annoying.

My system is an Athlon 64 on a Foxconn motherboard with onboard SiS Real256E graphic chipset with 256 Mb memory.

It must be a KDE related problem as I tried Mandriva 2009 which also uses KDE 4.1.2 and the same thing happens.

Anyone know a fix ?

Re: Display problem with KDE

If enabled, try turning off Desktop Effects.

K Menu > System Settings > Desktop > Desktop Effects > General > Enable desktop effects
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Unfortunately, desktop effects are not even available on the SiS chipset.

I tried one of the earlier alphas which used KDE 4.0 or whatever and that worked fine graphically but it would not connect to the repositories which really made it unusable.

Comment

Have you tried booting into recovery mode and selecting the Fix option and seeing if fixing the xserver makes any difference?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I will give it a try but my experience of the fix option is that all it seems to do is replace a broken version of xorg.conf with the last good backup which normally does the biz.

Comment

As expected, Fix had no effect. Should have realised since the live CD version also had the problem. The alpha versions were OK.

Suppose I will have to accept that the SiS chipset is the problem, always has been a bit unstable. Had a SiS sound card a few years ago which was total rubbish compared to the Creative Labs card I replaced it with.

Comment

Working...
            X