This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDA Connecting

I've got my PDA connecting to my laptop, and backing up. Now I'm trying to get the data to sync with my software.

I used; gnome-app-install.desktop in usr/share/applications in the menu item 'Other' you will find something about Palm utilities. This allows you to do a Hotsync from the PDA.

Trying to find an app that will sync to the palm now.

Re: PDA Connecting

If you type Palm into Adept, it will come up with Kpilot and Jpilot, i found Kpilot and hotsynch to work well together.

Comment

I cannot seem to find kpilot anywhere... nothing comes up for me. How do I get this.

It's getting really confusing with all the damn options for sync... I can't even find opensync. I find all the plugins, but nothing that looks like the opensync program itself.

Comment

Maybe it's been dropped in Intrepid? I'm in Hardy at the moment.

I'll hop over to Intrepid shortly and see what i've got...

Comment

If you ask Synaptic to install jpilot it will also install the jpilot-plugins and library necessary.

Comment

thanks, i'll give that a shot. tried it once though, and jpilot didn't seem to sync. Then again, I must have download 20 different versions of various things just to get it to talk. could have been confused. i liked the idea of kpilot, because it's supposed to sync with korganize.

Comment

I had - at least, in Feisty, or Gutsy - to sudo modprobe visor before it would work, so i put it in autostart.

Comment

Interestingly, i just searched Synaptic for kpilot, but it's not there.

However, Korganiser - which is - says:

KDE personal organizer
                This package contains KOrganizer, a calendar and scheduling program.

KOrganizer aims to be a complete program for organizing appointments, contacts, projects, etc. KOrganizer natively supports information interchange with other calendar applications, through the industry standard vCalendar personal data interchange file format. This eases the move from other modern PIMs to KOrganizer.

KOrganizer offers full synchronization with Palm Pilots, if kpilot is installed.

This package is part of KDE, and a component of the KDE PIM module.
                See the 'kde' and 'kdepim' packages for more information.

Canonical provides critical updates for korganizer until May 2010.
                See the 'kde' and 'kdepim' packages for more information.

Comment

I had the same darn confusion on the thing. Baffling to say the least.

I did get jpilot working, but it's not a very good program. I exported my contacts from that into Kontact, which is my prefered program. It's a work around, but clumsy. Where I went wrong was the connection, which defaulted to nothing, and it's not very intuitive when looking for settings. It's also got a few other plugins, which mean nothing to me, keyring and jppy. No idea what they're supposed to do, and I really don't feel like trying to figure it out. I'm just playing with everything anyway, so I boot my Kubuntu from a USB drive, and use my Windows XP as the primary OS at home, but Kubuntu is my pimary at work. I'm liking Kubuntu, but it's definitely in the development stages, and seriously lacking in the driver department. One of the most frustrating things is trying to change my color depth to 32bit. There just doesn't seem to be a way to do that, which is odd. I also lost full control of my wireless card, which is entirely at the mercy of Kubuntu. In windows I can increase and decrease that power of the trans/recieve through the driver. The OS itself is pretty stable though, once you get through the intial quarks and incomplete code. But hey, what do you want for nothing?

Comment

I couldn't get it to work properly, either, which was why i used Kpilot.

I really can't agree when you say that Kubuntu "but it's definitely in the development stages" - i agree that KDE 4 is still in the development stages, but then, it's a totally new system... give it time. Kubuntu itself is a well-developed OS, and - in my experience and opinion - a match for XP, i can't comment on Vista, i've only see it in action once.

Comment

Like I said, I use it at work, so I like it a lot. I run W2K in VBox for an estimating program that needs Windows, but other than that, I like it. There's definitely something lacking in the driver department though, because I can only get 16bit color at work, and 24bit at home.

I guess I get a little confused between KDE and Kubuntu. I see the entire system as Kubuntu, and if KDE isn't up to snuff, it drags the entire system down, Kubuntu included. Unless of course, a person prefers a command line approach. Personally, I like a good GUI.

Overall though, I like it better than MAC and Windows. It lacks hardware support though, which is the biggest drawback. I've never seen graphics properties without the ability to change color depth, and I've never had so little control over any of my components.

It's not a big deal to me entirely, because I realize eventually somebodies going to improve the system.

As for Vista, i can't comment either. I ran an early Beta version, but never bothered switching over. It seemed pretty cool, and seemed to work for me fairly well, but so did XP. I could never justify the excess money for cool, over functioning well, and doing everything I needed it to do. Now with Kubuntu, I'm like a kid in a candy store, and very much enjoying the new flavor. Mac and Windows are so yesterdays lunch....

Comment

Yes, i see what you mean "I see the entire system as Kubuntu" - i tend to see Kubuntu as Hardy, KDE 3.5.

I certainly think that it knocks the stuffing out of XP, but i've never used a Mac, i can't comment on that one.

The only thing i keep XP for is to play a game, Morrowind, Wine does it quite well, as does Crossover, but it is better on XP

The Good News is that it's being ported to Open Source....

Comment

I ran a printing company, and my MAC's were down far more than my PC's, and my PC's always ran circles around my MAC's. MAC is all about cool marketing, nothing more. Jobs infiltrated the school system and the entertainment industry, and Windows stuck with business in their marketing scheme. It always made me laugh when a MAC user would talk about their systems being superior to a PC. "What PC?" was always my response, because they just couldn't grasp the concept that a PC was open architecture, and one could build a PC far superior to a MAC in performance. Dollar for dollar, I could build a machine twice as fast for the same money. And as far as viruses go, 99.99% are self inflicted by the user. A windows user will get an attachment like "beautifulnakedwoman.zip.exe", and they click on it. I've been running windows since it was DOS, and have never used any virus software, and have never gotten a virus. If people felt like writing viruses like that for MAC and Linux, they'd have the same darn problem, because the problem is generally people, not computers.

Comment

Working...
                          X