This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Activating Bluetooth

There seems to be a lot of people having difficulty with Bluetooth, so here's what I did.

Install; libnet-bluetooth-perl

It does not put the icon in the apps menu, so you have to go and find it. For some reason, it won't run from the menu either, even if you manually add it to utilities or something. Maybe someone can tell me how to do it. I drug it to my desktop.

Here's where it dumps the two programs

from root, usr/share/applications

open up the bluetooth-properties.desktop, and hit the + sign to add devices.

It links to my mouse, and Palm 755. I'm going to see if I can sync my PDA using the bluetooth, and I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

Re: Activating Bluetooth

My impression was that it was broken in 8.10. Period. Only the gods know when it comes online...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

it's working for me...

Comment

Goody! Perhaps the gods have done it (or you are one of them ). I'll plug in my bluetooth dongle and check...
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yeah!!! It works for me, too!!! Even with a nice applet in the systray. Thank you, andreasj64

Comment

Well, thanks to this thread I am part way there at least!

I now have Bluetooth whenever I have the USB dongle plugged in. That is to say the light is flashing and, when I run bluetooth-properties.desktop I can see the phone I want to pair with. Here's where it goes pair-shaped. I don't get any icon in the taskbar. Also, whilst both my laptop and my Mobile Phone detect each other, they cannot connect because there is never a prompt on the laptop to enter a passkey, which is what the (currently kaput) kdebluetooth would normally ask for.

Whilst it's not critical and I can wait I would be very interested to learn if anyone has a fix for this.

Thanks

PS - would you agree with me that the term "Intrepid" could also at this point be applied to the users?

Comment

You don't get the passkey on the laptop, or an icon on the toolbar, but your phone should prompt you for a passkey. It does work though, but if youre trying to sync your data, you'll need to use jport unfortunately. I did it, and was able to import my data, and back things up. jport is not a very good app though, so I exported my contacts into Kontact.

gnome-palm tools worked for me as well, but it only works with evolution, which I didn't feel like trying to figure out. What I really want to do is use my cell phone for internet access, like I do in windows using PDAnet. Haven't tried to research that yet though.

Comment

Yes, I do get a prompt on the phone. What I would expect to happen is for me to type in a code on one of them and then for the other to prompt for a code, so as to pair them. The inability to type in the matching code on the laptop caused the pairing to fail.

The purpose is really only for transfer of files between the 2. I already have USB connectivity so can move stuff around, and thanks to a thread here I can back up and restore everything with Barrybackup so this was the icing on the cake I suppose. hence my reference to it not being critical.

Thanks

ian

Comment

There's something I haven't played with yet in the System Settings. Under the Advanced tab, you'll find an icon called "solid". It has a bluetooth preference there, where it has BlueZ as an option, then a mysterious option called Fake Bluetooth. No idea what it does, or why it's there, but you may want to play with tht to see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                  X