Clear All

Nvidia beta driver 180.06, works here

Announcement here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123072

64-bit driver here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_180.06.html

32-bit driver here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...32_180.06.html

I installed it on my Kubuntu 8.10 system, as well as my sidux system, and it works just fine as installed by downloaded installer. Looks like a winner to me.

Re: Nvidia beta driver 180.06, works here

Uggh... there are rumours of this fixing the 6/7 series issues... but now I am "locked-in" to using Envy... do you need to remove the Envy driver before installing from nvidia? (Been much too long since I've done it the hard way, but total screen corruption is getting to be quite an annoyance when using OOo)?

Edit: Even too lazy to do a search... dang, nobody help me, I don't deserve it...

Comment

Uggh... there are rumours of this fixing the 6/7 series issues..
      Yes, it fixed

I have a Nvidia 7300 Go and works fine with 180.06. Eclipse, OpenOffice, Firefox. without issues

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

32-bit driver here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...32_180.06.html

I installed it on my Kubuntu 8.10 system, as well as my sidux system, and it works just fine as installed by downloaded installer. Looks like a winner to me.

I have it going on kde 4.1.3 and 4.2 alpha. I used to get "garbage" when I clicked on kicker for a split second and if I clicked on .... say T-Bird on the desktop. No more though. Works great! Thanx for posting the links.
        Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Looks like a winner to me.

There's one caveat yet to be addressed between NVidia and Xorg, and that's the SLI users. After running through the 'nvidia-xconfig', which appeared to basically carry over the settings of the old xorg.conf file, it stripped the "BusID" settings. If you are running a SLI system, your "Section Device" should read as such;

Section "Device"
          Identifier "Configured Video Device"
          Driver "nvidia"
          BusID "01:00:00"
          EndSection

BusID can be had by doing a "lspci | grep -i vga". Generally, the first reported address is the master of the SLI setup, but if that doesn't work, then try the second addy. Some have posted on other forums that "BusID "PCIxxx"" also works, but if it ain't broke, no complaints here.

bsoderror, that got rid of my garbage too.

Now I hope this fixes a problem with "DPMS" not working. I post back later of the outcome of that problem.
          The word "can't" does not exist in my vocabulary.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab

but now I am "locked-in" to using Envy... do you need to remove the Envy driver before installing from nvidia?
            No problem with EnvyNG here -- I just used the downloaded installer and left EnvyNG alone. There's no interference. One of these days there will be an EnvyNG update, and that will enable it to load the 180.06 driver version, and then we can revert to using it again.

Comment

Is there a list of which cards are supported. Would my card, [GeForce 6200 TurboCache, benefit from installing this driver?

Comment

On the release notes, it says:

Fixed a regression that could result in window decoration corruption when running Compiz using Geforce 6 and 7 series GPUs.
                and also

Improved compatibility with recent Linux kernels.
                among other fairly obscure (to me) improvements.

So, I dunno -- it might work better for that card, or you might not be able to detect any difference. :P

Comment

There's only one way to find out. I'll try it later today and report back.

Comment

quick question...I haven't installed drivers the manual way for a while...but if I recall, at the end of the last set install (I think it was 171.08), it wants to update the xorg.conf. with the new setup where there is less config. in that file, how did you handle that? also, do I need to uninstall anything first, or will the new installer take care of my existing driver install?

mm0
                    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

My experience indicates that you DO need to let it update xorg.conf with the driver-specific options. It's pretty smart at doing it right, at least it does a good job on mine.

Before you install the downloaded driver, you need to apt-get the build-essentials package and the linux-headers-($uname -r) for your kernel. Then it should go through the installation with no hiccups. I save the downloaded file in my user folder, then get out of X altogether, go to /tmp and make a new directory there, /tmp/nvidia, copy the downloaded installer there and then
                      Code:
                      sudo sh ./NVI{tab key}
                      and away it goes.

Comment

cool...thanks for the info...I already have the headers and build-essentials, so I think it should be good to go...in the past I have just booted in recovery mode and installed from my home directory...are there any issues with that?

mm0
                        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I hate to do anything as root in my /home/user folder -- bad things have occasionally happened as a result of that. I'd recommend moving the file elsewhere before you execute it.

The reason I like to do it in /tmp is, at the next reboot it all disappears, except the original download in my /home user folder. Kind of automatically cleans up the debris.

Comment

well....I'm 2 minutes into 180.06, and all I can say is WOW...on my system, it vastly improves things...minor things, but noticable...for instance, the animation on Yakuake was very choppy before, now it is much smoother!!!

Love it!

Thanks dibl!

mm0

Comment

Working...
                            X