This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.10 completely unstable on Shuttle XPC Glamor SN68SG2

When I can keep the new Kubuntu 8.10 up it's pretty nice (modulo a few UI issues which I'll post about in the software forums). However, this new version of Kubuntu is completely unstable on my system -- a Shuttle XPC Glamor SN68SG2. This is an AMD Athlon64x2 based system with integrated NVIDIA 7025/nForce 630a chipset:

http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/SN68SG2.html

I'm using the NVIDIA 177 proprietary driver.

From the phenomenology of the crashes, I'm guessing that most of the problems are associated with the new X server. Frequently my web browser (Firefox 3.03 with AdBlock Plus) will cause the X session to crash and I'll be tossed back to the login screen (web pages on CNN.com seem to do this a lot). Often the crashes are worse in that the display will go black and the system will hang or the kernel will panic.

Previously I was using Kubuntu 8.04 on this same platform (along with the same NVIDIA driver) and the system was rock solid. I cannot currently recommend Kubuntu 8.10 for this hardware platform.

Casey

Re: Kubuntu 8.10 completely unstable on Shuttle XPC Glamor SN68SG2

I you haven't yet, read through this post.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well the verdict is in: I'm going to have to go back to Kubuntu 8.04. Kubuntu 8.10 is just way too unstable on my system. It crashed three times yesterday, three times the day before and already once this morning. This is crazy. Typically these crashes occur when viewing various web pages but I've also experienced then with kmail. Obviously something is deeply screwed up with both the new Xorg and the kernel/driver. I really hope these issues get addressed because the overall look and feel of the new system is very nice (not as consistent or useable as a Mac but making very good progress). I highly recommend that the Kubuntu developers grab a Shuttle XPC Glamor SN68SG2 -- they're great cheap machines and they exhibit horrible instability with Kubuntu 8.10.

Back I go to Kunbuntu 8.04

Casey

Comment

I'm now back on Kubuntu 8.04 (hardy) and I'm totally happy again. I do look forward to Kubuntu 8.10
        (Intrepid) becoming stable since there were some nice UI features but 8.04 is more than good
        enough for now. Thanks to people who tried to help and my best wishes to the Kubuntu team on
        8.10 ...

Casey

Comment

Working...
        X