This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia driver problems

I've recently installed kubuntu 8.10, but when go to install and enable the nvidia drivers with the hardware drivers from the K menu my computer will not successfully boot up. I've also tried installing the latest drivers manually but I get the same problems. While booting up after the kubuntu logo with the progress bar, the screen goes blank with "* Checking battery state... [OK]" at the top. Nothing happens after that and I have to restore my computer with a .tgz file I made of my whole system as a precaution. I have also tried to install the drivers as mentioned here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2816#msg152816 ,but "sudo envyng -t" just gives me the error "TypeError: list indices must be integers". I have 2 Geforece 8500GT if that helps at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Nvidia driver problems

Originally posted by TheSkunkMan

I have 2 Geforece 8500GT if that helps at all. Any help would be appreciated.
    I have read multiple reports of driver installation failures on a dual card setup. "They" say you need to pull one card, run the driver installer, verify you have the driver installed, then insert the second card, and use the "PCI:00:0x" lines in xorg.conf, one for each card. There are a couple of threads on Ubuntu forums on the topic.

I can't verify it -- I have only one card. I guess you can be the guinea pig, and let us know if there's any truth in the reports.

EDIT: more here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=965180

Comment

I can verify it works, I had the same exact problem and I have 2 video cards. You don't have to take out 1 of your cards you can leave it in. You just need to add your BusID to your xorg.conf and it will boot up properly. For a detailed explanation see my last post in this thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099022.0

Comment

I just tried editing xorg and adding the busID after installing the drivers. Kubuntu loaded fine but after the screen went blank after the loading screen. I entered my password though and could here the login sounds. I'm using two monitors and I don't know if that might also be causing a problem. I'll try it again with both monitors and than with one to make sure I didn't make any mistakes the first time.

Comment

I just realized my mistake. For the busID i just put down the first result of lspci instead of the ID of the card with the monitors plugged in. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkunkMan
            I just realized my mistake. For the busID i just put down the first result of lspci instead of the ID of the card with the monitors plugged in. Thanks for the help.
            np glad to see you have it working

Comment

Just a sidetrack here, I have an old MX400 display and I installed the driver via Envy, the problem is unreadable block characters on Firefox and Openoffice, I read the release note it said '... Users with the nVidia TNT, TNT2, TNT Ultra, GeForce, GeForce2, GeForce3, and GeForce4 chipsets are affected and will be transitioned on upgrade to the free nv driver instead....', does this mean there will be a fix to this soon ? I searched around but couldn't find a fix to my problem yet.
              Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

Working...
              X