This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange nvidia issue partly solved but only temporary

I have a self built computer which includes nvidia onboard graphics. (C51G GeForce 6100).
    I have the system up and running complete with correct screen resolution and full effects. The system functions very well but only until it is rebooted.
    After a reboot I get an black screen only (after the splash) except for a single narrow line at the very top of the screen. The only way that I have been able to get the system back is to switch to a command line (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and install the nvidia-glx-173 driver as a replacement to the 177 one. This doesn't work but on reinstalling the 177 driver and restarting kdm it continues normally with everything working normally. This is inconvenient on a machine that is not left on.

Any suggestions or solutions most gratefully appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Re: Strange nvidia issue partly solved but only temporary

The driver installation process that works for me is here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2816#msg152816

When you run sudo envyng -t on the second screen is a choice of driver. The 177.80 version should run that GF 6100, but you can choose the 173.xx if you like it better.

Comment

Re: Strange nvidia issue partly solved but only temporary

The process you mention is one of the many things ive tried before and it still left me with the single line problem. Same issue with envyng -t and installing dirvers through that. The only thing that reliably works is the install the 173.xx driver using apt-get install nvidia-glx-173 then reinstalling sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-177.
      Never got anything out of the 173.xx version in any way.

Comment

Working...
      X