Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved]X11 no PCI Device Detected after nvidia driver install.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]X11 no PCI Device Detected after nvidia driver install.

I have a 8800 GT and when I tried to install drivers 177 I got stuck at the checking battery screen after rebooting. I did a reinstall to get over it. Doing some googling I've seen other people with the same problem but they had no help. Is there a work around for this yet or a way to get nvidia drivers working? Should I just stick with vesa drivers.

Re: Is there a workaround for nvidia drivers?

Try installing the Nvidia driver using this method:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2523#msg152523

Comment

I've tried that but when I do sudo envyng -t I don't get a option to choose drivers I get
      (I'm using another PC to type this so I can't copy and paste)

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "interface.py", line 428, in <module>
      a = Interfce()
      File "interface.py:, line 126, in --init--
      self.abstract = abstraction.Abstraction(progress, True)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Envy/abstraction.py", line 39, in __init__
      self.driverDetails = self.hardware.selectDriver()
      file "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Envy/detection.py, line 248, in select Driver
      if 173 in candidates['nvidia'] and 177 in candidates ['nvidia']

Comment

I can find another example of that error message:

here

but not a solution.

I would try to reinstall envyng-core, after getting out of X with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and
        Code:
        sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
        like this:

Code:
        sudo apt-get remove --purge envyng-core
        then

Code:
        sudo apt-get install envyng-core
        Kinda weak, but I don't know what else to suggest. The error is a python problem, and that is what EnvyNG is built on.

Comment

thanks for all your help I'm reading up on it.

Comment

If you open adept and see a package "envyng-qt" and it's not installed, install that one, and then try it again (I'm away from my system and can't check it.

Here's the home page for the author of Envy and EnvyNG:

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Comment

Allright got it working. It was a bug that if you have 2 graphic cards and xorg doesn't know which one to choose as primary adapter. More on the bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+bug/267241

I have 2 8800 GT video cards, I got around the problem by manually taking out the 2nd card and reinstalling Intrepid. Then I followed Dibl's tutorial with envyng. I haven't reinstalled my 2nd card yet gonna do it lil bit later since this gave me a serious headache today. I will post if I have any trouble with it but all in all my problem is solved.

Comment

Re: [Solved] Is there a workaround for nvidia drivers?

I have reinstalled my 2nd video card and I got hung at the checking battery screen again. According to what someone said on the bug page I will have to "You need to define it in section "Device" of your xorg.conf config file with a line like:
                BusID "PCI:02:00:00" I kinda don't understand it so if someone can tell me what to put in my xorg.conf file I would be grateful.

Comment

Re: [Solved-Almost] Is there a workaround for nvidia drivers?

Finally got it to work. Adding BusID works. Gonna post on how I did just in case someone else needs to do it. I did the following after a fresh install.

* Did the update after Install and reboot.

* Install nvidia drivers (177) from package manager.

* After driver install run in terminal
                  Code:
                  sudo nvidia x-config
                  * After that go and edit your /ect/X11/xorg.conf file and add your BusID to the "Device" Section.
                  To get your BusID run in terminal
                  Code:
                  lspci
                  You should get something like this for your video card
                  Code:
                  03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8800 GT (rev a2)
                  04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8800 GT (rev a2
                  I know 03:00.0 is my main card BusID but it might be different for you. My xorg.conf for my videcard "Devices" section looks like this after the edit
                  Code:
                  Section "Device"
                    Identifier   "Device0"
                    Driver     "nvidia"
                    VendorName   "NVIDIA Corporation"
                    BusID     "PCI:3:0:0"
                  EndSection
                  From what I read when adding your BusID take out the first 0 in the first and second number and change the .(period) into a : (colon).

* After that save and reboot. It should load normally, well it did for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X