Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved for Nvidia, not others] Screen Resolution won't stick between reboots

My preferred resolution is 1280x1024 and System Settings lets me change to that res. but every time I boot kubuntu it goes back to 1600x1024 which says (Auto) next to it.

After a reboot I'll open System Settings and as soon as I click on Display the screen suddenly switches to 1280x1024 without me having to select it in the drop-down list. So how do I make my preferred resolution the default resolution?

I tried to have nvidia-settings save it to the X Configuration File but it keeps seg faulting on me.

Re: Screen Resolution won't stick between reboots

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098672.0 first reply may help you.

Comment

Re: Screen Resolution won't stick between reboots

Thanks a bunch andrewyoungisgreat. I wanted to stick with the nvidia drivers that are in the repos so I didn't do the EnvyNG part; but running

Code:
      sudo nvidia-xconfig
      made it so that nvidia-settings didn't crash when saving to the x config file

Comment

Re: [Solved] Screen Resolution won't stick between reboots

I have the same problem but I don't have an nvidia video card. The nvidia command doesn't work on my system. Do I have to install it or is there another wqay for me to make the resolution setting sticky?

Comment

Same here , same problem but different videocard mine is an ATI X550

Comment

WARNING!!! I AM BY NO MEANS AN EXPERT ON LINUX. DO THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

If anyone out there has better instructions or has a good reason to not do or try the following, please let me know.

[edit]
            I can't believe I forgot to mention this at first. Before you go mucking around the xorg.conf file, you should back it up first. To do that do something like:

Code:
            sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
            That way if something goes wrong and all you can get is a command line all you have to do is:

Code:
            sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            [/edit]

I don't know much about these things, but I might have a solution for those non nvidia users. First of all, you need to know what driver your card uses as it might be important later. I think newer ATI uses fglrx. Once you know for sure which driver your card has installed, then do in a terminal:

Code:
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
            The defaut answers should be fine for most things. Just make sure when it asks about the video driver that it's correct and that when you pick your screen resolutions you don't pick anything higher than the one you want as default. For some reason linux seems to default to the highest resolution that it sees is possible. After you answer all the questions, it will offer to write a new xorg.conf file (I think....it's been really long since I've done this). Tell it to save the xorg.conf file and reboot.

That should do it. Please please back anything important up before you try this. I'm sure there's plenty that can go wrong and I don't want to be responsible for important stuff being lost.

Comment

Originally posted by dlanor78
              I don't know much about these things, but I might have a solution for those non nvidia users. First of all, you need to know what driver your card uses as it might be important later. I think newer ATI uses fglrx. Once you know for sure which driver your card has installed, then do in a terminal:

Code:
              sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
              I have exactly the same problem with an intel graphics card. This configuration of the x-server doesn't work with Kubuntu 8.10. It doesn't let you configure the graphics card and resolution...

Comment

Working...
              X