This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.10: Install went fine, but video wonky

Things were all roses at first, but now I'm having some very odd problems.

One is screen resolution. I can't even select anything above 1280x1024. I want to run at 1600x1200 @75 Hz. My display (NEC Accusync 120, 21" CRT) can certainly handle it, but I'm not even allowed to select that option. The System Settings->Display applet tells me my screen is set at 1280x1024 with a 50Hz refresh rate. It doesn't know what it's talking about, because the monitor is detecting (and my eyeballs would be bleeding if this weren't true, on a 21" monitor) an 85 Hz refresh rate.

I installed the proprietary NVidia drivers, version 177.80. 3D is working fine in games, but I can't run them at 1600x1200. Attempting to do so makes the game quit, in those games which allow adjusting the screen resolution. The games I've tried so far are all from the default repositories: Warsow, Neverball, and Orbital Eunuchs Sniper. The latter only uses 2D graphics, but should have sound, which it doesn't.

That's the other thing: I get NO sound in any games, or even in non-game apps like Amarok. The only sounds I ever hear are the "you just logged in" and "logging out" music. In Windows, I would probably look for a mis-installed sound driver or something like that, but I have no idea how 8.10 does it, or how it could already be broken, since I just installed it 2 days ago.

Video card is a GeForce 9800 GTX+. Sound hardware is built-in on an Asus P5E3 WS Pro motherboard. Under Windows, it just says "SoundMAX HD digital audio." According to Alsamixer run from the console, I have " HDA Intel, Analog Devices AD1988B."

Well, THAT one was easy - PCM was simply muted under Alsamixer, for some reason. I have full sound now.

Still need help with the video, though!

Re: 8.10: Install went fine, but video wonky

I'm jealous -- nice card and monitor!

I'd say try a re-installation of the Nvidia driver, following my process here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2816#msg152816

Once EnvyNG finishes the installation, and BEFORE you restart the X server, let the included Nvidia utility write a new xorg.conf file (the old one will be automatically backed up):

Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    Then reboot and open a Konsole window (or use Alt-F2) and open the Nvidia settings utility with
    Code:
    kdesudo nvidia-settings
    and see if you are able to change the resolution settings.Also be sure and click the "Detect Display" button before you "Save to X Configuration File". I've never liked the result of setting "refresh" so I advise leaving it on "Auto". It is working correctly at 1600x1200 on my 9600GT on a Samsung SyncMaster 1100 CRT. Here's my xorg.conf file, just in case there is anything helpful in it (compare it to the one that is written for you by nvidia-xconfig and maybe add a line at a time and see if it works better):

Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder58) Wed Oct 1 15:12:53 PDT 2008
    # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
    # nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder58) Fri Sep 26 11:06:49 PDT 2008

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier  "Monitor0"
    	VendorName  "Unknown"
    	ModelName   "Samsung SyncMaster"
    	HorizSync   30.0 - 130.0
    	VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
    	Option    "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier  "Screen0"
    	Device    "Device0"
    	Monitor    "Monitor0"
    	Option 	 "PixmapCacheSize" "5000000"
    	Option 	 "AllowSHMPixmaps" "0"
    	Option    "metamodes" "1600x1200 +0+0"
    	Option    "Coolbits" "1"
    	DefaultDepth	24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth   24
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    	Load     "dbe"
    	Load     "extmod"
    	Load     "type1"
    	Load     "freetype"
    	Load	"glx"
    	Disable	"dri2"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier  "Mouse0"
    	Driver    "mouse"
    	Option    "Protocol" "auto"
    	Option    "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    	Option    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    	Option    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    	Driver    "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier  "Layout0"
    	Screen   0 "Screen0" 0 0
    	InputDevice  "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    	InputDevice  "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "Device0"
    	VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
    	BoardName   "GeForce 9600 GT"
    	Driver	"nvidia"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    	Option    "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Comment

Re: 8.10: Install went fine, but video wonky

Just running the NVidia setting app (kdesudo nvidia-settings) did the trick. For some reason it was auto-defaulting to 1280x1024. I was even able to select the refresh rate I wanted, 75Hz. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X