This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Nvidia FX5200 drivers

Should the 173 drivers from Nvidia work with my FX5200 and 8.10?

I cannot succesfully install them.

Using the "hardware drivers" thing, the accept/install button doesn't usually work. It did work once after I reset xorg.conf via the terminal and also ran 'sudo nvidia-config' (or similar).

Using the terminal "sudo apt-get install nvidia-173" also seems to work.

However, whenever I restart sometimes the screen resolution is 640 * 480. Sometimes it's 1280 * ??. I want 1024 * 768, if I set it to 1024, the next restart it may have changed.

If the screen resolution is 1280 * ??, (I check it with the Nvidia control) I go to the sytem settings and click on the display icon. Suddenly the screen resolution changes to 600 * 480. I can change it back to 1024 * 768.

Is this usual?

Re: Nvidia FX5200 drivers

I would advise doing the following -- first get out of the X server with Ctrl-Alt-F1, then log in at the CLI and shut down the X server with
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
    then do these:

1. Back up your existing xorg.conf file

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    2. Install and run EnvyNG

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-core
    Code:
    sudo envyng -t
    Choose #1 "Install Nvidia driver", and follow guidance to choose a driver.

3. When you are returned to the CLI prompt, run the Nvidia xorg configuration utility:

Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    4. When it is done writing a new xorg.conf file, restart the X server with

Code:
    startx
    Then, if you don't like the resolution, do two things:

1. Stay far, far away from "System Settings > Monitor & Display"

2. Do Alt-F2 "kdesudo nvidia-settings" and set the resolution as you want it for default. It's best to leave the refresh rate set on "Auto". When you have it the way you want it, click the "Save to X Configuration File" button, and save it. Now it's your default setting.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Re: Nvidia FX5200 drivers

Originally posted by dibl
      When you have it the way you want it, click the "Save to X Configuration File" button.
      Many thanks, I followed your excellent guide. I can now restart with the wanted resolution.

The critical part was not clicking "Save to X Configuration File", I had clicked apply many times and then quit. I feel that it is a bug in the Nvidia config utility, it should prompt me to save the xorg.conf before quitting.

Comment

Re: [Solved] Nvidia FX5200 drivers

Can we install Envy without doing the other stuff?

Comment

Re: [Solved] Nvidia FX5200 drivers

I don't know if the pretty version of Envyng can correctly add the Nvidia drivers.

You can install Envy with Adept, it's quite easy. You need the QT version 'Envyng-qt', this will also select Envyng-core.

When Adept has finished installing Envyng, you will find a purple icon in K / System.

I found that I had to run 'sudo nvidia-xconfig' from a command prompt, the version in the K menu didn't have permission to update the display settings (xorg.conf).

Comment

Working...
          X