This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth mouse - no GUI to setup

I'm missing that application in Ibex for configuring bluetooth devices. It was bluetooth logo in system tray in Hardy. With right-click it was possible to pair or configure bluetooth devises. I can't find it in Ibex. It is KDEbluetooth4 application installed, but I cant load it. Is it something wrong with my OS, or it is some regression?

I'm using "hcitool scan" and "sudo hidd --connect 00:07:61xx" to make mouse run. I need to re setup it again after restarting or resuming from stand by.

Any solutions?

Re: Bluetooth mouse - no GUI to setup

No, I am afraid not

I am suffering from the same problem and here is what I've found out so far:

Plug in usb dongle, "dmesg" says "hci_cmd_task: hci0 command tx timeout"

Code:
    hciconfig
    hci0:  Type: USB
        BD Address: 00:1A:7D:01:12:D1 ACL MTU: 377:10 SCO MTU: 16:0
        UP RUNNING
        RX bytes:1487 acl:0 sco:0 events:49 errors:0
        TX bytes:427 acl:0 sco:0 commands:35 errors:0
    That command told me that it found the dongle at least...

And a scan came up with the following:
    hcitool scan
    Scanning ...
    00:01:E3:93:95:58 n/a
    00:1A:8A:2C:3C:B1 Ingo
    So it found itself, very good And it found 00:01:E3:93:95:58, which may be my phone, but I don't know. Certainly my phone is not aware of any other bluetooth devices around...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Maybe there is alternative gnome app?

Is starting to make me mad, each time after booting I need to run terminal to make my mouse work. Men, its 2008!! I was thinking that this is temporal bug, but it is one week now. And still no results.

Comment

Well, if you can make it work no the command line there is no reason why you shouldn't cook up a small script that runs when KDE comes up to connect your mouse automatically

Ask how if at all unsure.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

This can be work around, Please tell me how.
          I use:
          hcitool scan
          sudo hidd --connect 00:07:61:88:AF:92

Comment

Okay, here in short without explanations:

Code:
            cd ~/.kde/Autostart
            touch bluetooth_script.sh
            nano bluetooth_script.sh
            Now type in the following:

Code:
            #!/bin/bash

hcitool scan
            sudo hidd --connect 00:07:61:88:AF:92
            Save the file and do:

Code:
            chmod +x bluetooth_script.sh
            Bingo

Next time you start KDE the script should be executed. Let us know whether it works.

Comment

Thanks, but the script does not work. It can be 2 problems:
              1. There is 'sudo' in second line. So mouse can't be paired, because no sudo password was supplied.
              2. I realized, that I need to pres reset button on mouse for detection by "hcitool scan". In 8.04 kind of bluetooth server was working and it was ability to select always allow (or something similar).

Still looking for other alternative...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

1. you are correct, my oversight
                2. requires some action on your part

I would put the script into the boot process. For Debian Etch you'd:

Place your script in /etc/init.d/

Next the system has to re-read its init routine, tell it to do so:
                Code:
                sudo update-rc.d
                Now reboot.

If you want to remove the script from the start-up process do a

Code:
                update-rc.d -f script_name remove
                Obviously you'd have to press your mouse reset button during start up for it to have any chance. Also, I wrote that this method works for Debian Etch. Having looked at the Kubuntu 8.10 /etc/init.rd I don't see any reason why it shouldn't word.

The time window during which your mouse and the computer talk to each other is obviously crucial here...

To see the proper booting process rather than just pretty graphics, put a # before "quiet splash" in your kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Still interested ?

Comment

Ahem, after hardly sleeping (followed the US election) here the simplest method:

Simply change the sudo command to kdesudo in the script

Comment

Working...
                  X