X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Drivers

On the Kubuntu release notes, it says this:
    The 71 and 96 series of proprietary nVidia drivers, as provided by the nvidia-glx-legacy and nvidia-glx packages in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, are not compatible with the X.Org included in Ubuntu 8.10. Users with the nVidia TNT, TNT2, TNT Ultra, GeForce, GeForce2, GeForce3, and GeForce4 chipsets are affected and will be transitioned on upgrade to the free nv driver instead. This driver does not support 3D acceleration.

Users of other nVidia chipsets that are supported by the 173 or 177 driver series will be transitioned to the nvidia-glx-173 or nvidia-glx-177 package instead. However, unlike drivers 96 and 71, drivers 173 and 177 are only compatible with CPUs that support SSE (e.g. Intel Pentium III, AMD Athlon XP or higher). Systems with older CPUs will also be transitioned to the nv driver on upgrade.
    What does this mean? I have an Nvidia GeForce Go 6100. Will this affect me? And what's a CPU that supports SSE?

Re: Nvidia Drivers

Originally posted by ninique305

What does this mean? I have an Nvidia GeForce Go 6100.
    It means you are not affected.

Comment

I have a pokey GeForce4 MX 4000 card, and 8.10 works fine particularly after setting the display size. It appears that getting a driver from nVidia is moot.

Comment

The VESA driver on the Live CD is way better now than it used to be. Or else it is the "nv" driver -- I'm not sure but you are correct that it looked better on mine than I've ever seen it before, prior to installing the Nvidia driver.

Comment

Hello Everyone... I have the Nvidia GeForce 7900 Go and when I installed the nvidia driver I no longer can get x up and running... how can I go back to the vesa driver so at least I have a working copy of kubuntu to play around with...

Comment

Originally posted by AceMineral
            I have a pokey GeForce4 MX 4000 card, and 8.10 works fine particularly after setting the display size. It appears that getting a driver from nVidia is moot.
            It will work, but 3D acceleration will not be enabled. I was using an old GeForce2 MX card but switched it out for a 5900XT I had spare

Comment

Originally posted by sdlnxgk
              Hello Everyone... I have the Nvidia GeForce 7900 Go and when I installed the nvidia driver I no longer can get x up and running... how can I go back to the vesa driver so at least I have a working copy of kubuntu to play around with...
              Edit your xorg.conf, where it says
              Code:
              Driver "nvidia"
              change that to
              Code:
              Driver "nv"
              I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
              X