X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless LED on Dell Laptop

Hi

A trivial point but it would be very nice if the light that comes on when wireless is enabled on my dell 630m could work in 8.10. I remember a couple of years ago someone came up with a script that made it light up but then on reboot you needed to do it again so it was kind of pointless really

However I'm just wondering whether anyone has been able to make this work properly (i.e on when wireless enabled and off when disabled) as although it's not essential it would be a nice touch.

Ian

Re: Wireless LED on Dell Laptop

These lights are notoriously fickle. Mine doesn't work on an IBM Thinkpad and, to tell you the truth, I don't miss it (perhaps it works on windblows, no idea 'cos it never got installed).

For stuff like that you're better off in larger forums such as Ubuntu or more tech minded communities such as Debian or Gentoo.

I don't want to discourage you, but I doubt you'll get the answer here
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks for that Toad. Yes, after posting I googled for this and it's actually quite well documented as a ubuntu (well Linux really) bug.

The advice generally was to install a backport package to the kernel so I did, with a very interesting result - I lost internet altogether both wired and wireless!

I had difficulty removing the offending packages without totally removing the 27-7 kernel (fortunately I always maintain 2 kernels so I still had the 27-6 one) and I was able to come back from it.

A classic example of fixing it till it's broken. Interestingly the suggestion on Launchpad is that this bug is so old that by the time it's fixed any affected laptop will have already been scrapped

Think I'll leave it now - as I said earlier it's trivial.

Comment

Nice one!
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Have you tried editing your /etc/modprobe.d/options file? It should already have an entry for ipw2200 in it. Just append " led=1" to the end of that line, and see if that helps.

Comment

Hi Ed (I presume that's your first name?)

The line relating to ipw 2200 is as below:

options ipw2200 associate=0

I stuck led=1 after the line and in substitution for associate=0 but no luck either way.

I remember doing something like that a while back but it only lit the LED for that particular session. Is it working properly on your system?

Ian

Comment

Working...
            X