Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVidia Binary X.org driver (version 96 driver)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVidia Binary X.org driver (version 96 driver)

Ok... The current version of NVidia 96 legacy driver is: 96.43.07 (to support my GeForce 3 MX (Elsa Gladiac MX)). This driver is needed so that the driver can be loaded with the kernel 2.6.25 and later. THe 96.43.05 version will not load with kernel version greater that 2.6.24. It crashes with an unresolved symbols error. This driver has been out for about 3 months now. Any particular reason it isn't shipping with Kubuntu/Ubuntu 8.10 beta?

The current version shipping with Kubuntu/Ubuntu 8.10 beta is 96.43.05. This driver WILL NOT LOAD with the kernel (2.6.27) that is also shipping with same. Would love to beta test all the kick ass effects in KDE on my desktop machine that currently has GeForce 3 card in it.

Re: NVidia Binary X.org driver (version 96 driver)

Further information:

Also ... here is supporting documentation from NVidia:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110899
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113974
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116407

Comment

Can you download it and install it from here?

Or, if you need the 64-bit driver, you'll have to go up a level and pick that installer instead of the 32-bit.

Here is the installation sequence (fourth post):

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098047.0

No guarantee on results, of course.

Comment

I wish - the installer cannot find a valid pre-built module - it then attempts to compile a kernel module - it won't compile - compiler bails

Comment

You can
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules
          That used to work, IIRC.

Comment

Isn't that going to just give me the current NVidia 96.43.05 driver that I already have?

Comment

Hmmm -- maybe, but wait -- I thought it was now nvidia-glx-9643 or something like that, for the driver.

Try it -- and then try running the downloaded installer. Doesn't sound like there's lots to lose. Also don't forget to
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
              before you run the installer, but you may have already done that.

Comment

I didn't already do it - but I did have the headers installed ... It did install the restricted modules - not sure that matters...

I will try the manual install of the 96.43.07 driver soon.

If i open the package manager and search for nvidia, I don't see a nvidia-glx-9643 but rather an nvidia-glx-96... Which is currently version 96.43.05 instead of 96.43.07

This is not a problem in 8.04 because the current kernel there is 2.6.24 - 96.43.05 works with that kernel.

Comment

bah - no joy - still can't find a pre-compiled module that works - so it attempts to compile with the following result - even tried to reboot and try again - de-nada - still won't compile

Here is where it crashes (in case your curious):
                  Code:
                  /tmp/selfgz17338/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c: In function
                    ânv_kern_cpu_callbackâ:
                    /tmp/selfgz17338/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:1188: warnin
                    g: comparison between signed and unsigned
                    /tmp/selfgz17338/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:1191: error:
                    too many arguments to function âsmp_call_functionâ
                    /tmp/selfgz17338/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:1195: warnin
                    g: comparison between signed and unsigned
                    /tmp/selfgz17338/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:1198: error:
                    make[3]: *** [/tmp/selfgz17338/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.
                    o] Error 1
                    make[2]: *** [_module_/tmp/selfgz17338/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1/usr/sr
                    c/nv] Error 2
                    NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
                    nvidia.ko failed to build!
                    make[1]: *** [module] Error 1
                    make: *** [module] Error 2
                  -> Error.
                  ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
                  ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
                      '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions
                      on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
                      driver download page at [url]www.nvidia.com[/url].
                  The actual place the compile fails above...:
                  Code:
                    /tmp/selfgz17338/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.07-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:1198: error:
                  It's ok though... I don't really need to be able to compile things on here... Just need the 96.43.07 drivers to be in the repos

Comment

Perhaps I should clarify ... this isn't a show stopper - X still runs - just with some slow video driver that won't support the nice new KDE 4.1 animations and things... (ie - no 3d support)

Comment

Bummer. Must be something new and different with the 2.6.25+ kernels. Sorry.

When Alberto Milone releases a new EnvyNG package for 8.10, that might offer you a path to success.

Comment

actually all that needs to happen is the newer Nvidia legacy drivers: 96.43.07 need to hit the Ubuntu package repo... those newer drivers work with kernels 2.6.25+

I wait with baited breath!

Comment

Working...
                        X