Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone else been bitten by the Intel e1000 bug?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has anyone else been bitten by the Intel e1000 bug?

Well, I'm glad of this post and I'm glad I just tried the Live CD Beta. Network didn't work. Logged back under normal and ran "sudo lshw" and --> module=e1000e

Odd though; I've tried Alpha4 and never seemed to have an issue. I'll wait until Final when they have the fix in place.

Comment

I'm monitoring the daily build directory here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

As soon as they put a new daily build in it (Monday, probably) I'm going to grab a Live CD and see if the patch is in. According to the announcements linked above, the kernel should be patched in the next daily build that is made available -- shouldn't be necessary to wait for final release.

Comment

> [intrepid] 2.6.27 e1000e driver places Intel ICH8 and ICH9 gigE chipsets at risk tells:
        Fix Released
        and
        linux-image-2.6.27-5-generic (2.6.27-5.8) changelog tells:
        * Enabled CONFIG_E1000E, disabled CONFIG_E1000E_NEW
        This takes advantage of the upstream NVM protection fix in
        commit 4a7703582836f55a1cbad0e2c1c6ebbee3f9b3a7.
        > 4a7703582836f55a1cbad0e2c1c6ebbee3f9b3a7
        e1000e: write protect ICHx NVM to prevent malicious write/erase

Set the hardware to ignore all write/erase cycles to the GbE region in
        the ICHx NVM. This feature can be disabled by the WriteProtectNVM module
        parameter (enabled by default) only after a hardware reset, but
        the machine must be power cycled before trying to enable writes.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Downloading now!

Moving my Remix KDE4 over to something more consistent, structurally!

Comment

Yep, me downloading too! New II installation coming to an Intel + Nvidia system near me!

Comment

Aww.. I thought that was coming near me!!

Oh...Wait that's Intel and Intel for me !!

Comment

Hmmm..maybe I jumped the gun on that download. Still comes up as disabled. I'll wait a couple of days.

Comment

BUMMER!

You are correct, Moon. I got impatient and went for the "Install" when I could have just popped open the Konsole on the Live CD and got my answer -- no eth0. Since my motherboard doesn't have a wireless chip, ifconfig shows nothing but the local loopback, so there's no connection.

So, for anyone who is wondering, here is the kernel that is still in the daily build repo (it says 4 OCT 2008), that is NOT fixed:

Code:
                  dibl@ibex:~$ uname -a
                  Linux ibex 2.6.27-4-generic #1 SMP Wed Sep 24 01:29:06 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                  I must say that the new installer and partitioning is REALLY NICE! kudos to the devs for putting that together -- it really went down very smoothly and totally as expected.

Of course, my new Nvidia 9600GT doesn't behave very well -- have to boot the Live CD with "safe graphics", and then the first boot into the installed system has to be into Recovery Mode, and then "Fix X" to get a VESA GUI. But then it looks really nice, even runs 1600 x 1200 mode as a VESA screen, and looks sharp.

But with no connection to the source repos, I'm kinda wasting my time doing anything with it -- guess I'll just cool my heels and run sidux some more .... :P

Comment

Maybe this helps:

Bug #263555
                    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/263555

Benjamin Prosnitz
                    You could also probably just put the kernel packages on a flash drive, and
                    install them manually.

Christian Becker
                    No package here, when it will arrive? It's really amazing when you have no network ...

Michael Chang
                    If you have no network whatsoever, you'll need to grab the package using another machine or OS, use a daily build CD image, or downgrade to a version where the driver was not disabled and then upgrade to the current one.
                    http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/...6.27-5-generic
                    http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/....6.27-5-server
                    (As Colin mentioned, it will take a while for linux-* packages to be updated to automatically bring in the new package.)
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I assume though that by Release Date that II will already have this incorporated? I hope? I can wait until then, no big deal with that. What I have is working great, just want to be able to fuse all of this KDE3.5.9 stuff and configuration into KDE4 which is what I use all the time now. Just have issues with parts of it being KDE3.5.9.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
                        Maybe this helps:

Michael Chang
                        If you have no network whatsoever, you'll need to grab the package using another machine or OS, use a daily build CD image, or downgrade to a version where the driver was not disabled and then upgrade to the current one.
                        http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/...6.27-5-generic
                        http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/....6.27-5-server
                        (As Colin mentioned, it will take a while for linux-* packages to be updated to automatically bring in the new package.)
                        Thanks Rog! I'm going to try to copy in that kernel image, and edit menu.list, and see what happens.

Comment

Is it fixed for you yet dibl

Cary
                          The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

hey hey HEY!

Code:
                            dibl@ibex:~$ uname -a
                            Linux ibex 2.6.27-5-generic #1 SMP Fri Oct 3 00:36:38 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

& posted from Firefox in Kubuntu!

I'd like to say it was easy .... but .... still putting the pieces back together here. :P

I'll help if anyone else is masochistic enough to want to do this.

Comment

I'm a little :

Attached Files

Comment

Well, desperate circumstances bring desperate measures! :P

If you download the kernel package that Rog linked to your Kubuntu /boot directory (from some OTHER OS), then boot Kubuntu and open the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and comment out ALL sources, you can then install the kernel package with gdebi. Then you'll have to uncomment the sources to restore them. Then you can run apt-get update and so on, and get back to a functioning system.

Comment

Working...
                                X