Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone else been bitten by the Intel e1000 bug?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else been bitten by the Intel e1000 bug?

I'm currently using a USB ethernet adaptor as my onboard Intel is pooched! Am hoping it's not bricked.

Cary
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Re: Has anyone else been bitten by the Intel e1000 bug?

Sorry to hear that. I always thought it was kinda weird that most mobos today come with 2 ethernet adapters (and usually of different makes)... but I guess it would be helpful in this instance.

Good luck.

Comment

Is yours dead or is the driver blacklisted. I know as of last night during an update that my e100e stopped. If you nvram did get hit, maby you can find someone with a T61 that can run ethtool -e > saved nvram.

I hope that helps.

Comment

Can anyone tell me how to find out if I have this driver?

Comment

Yep, the Friday updates blacklisted the e1000e module, which is required for my Intel 82573L Gigabit ethernet chip, for the ~.27-4 kernel. Interestingly, the .27-2 kernel still runs the e1000e module with no problems, so I've been booting that one (haven't figured out how to un-blacklist the module for .27-4 -- anybody know how to do that?).

@Nexus -- you can check what ethernet chip you have with
          Code:
          sudo lshw
          apt-get install lshw if you don't have it already.

You can check your loaded modules with
          Code:
          lsmod
          But of course if it is already blacklisted then you won't see it in the list of modules. And you won't be connected to the network/Internet either, at least not with a wired ethernet connection.

Comment

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=Njc1OQ

"Intel is also preparing patches that help users with damaged network hardware restore their EEPROM."

Comment

It didn't hurt my ethernet chip, but I can't run the 2.6.27 kernel until it's patched. Kinda puts a damper on 8.10 Beta ....

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                ...Kinda puts a damper on 8.10 Beta ....
                I'm more worried that it will put a damper on using the 2.6.27 kernel (since I am eager to have ath9k "built-in")... that kernel version decision was still not final (or was it?).

Edit: I guess with .27 in the beta it will most likely be in the final.

Comment

So far, 8.10 Alpha has released kernels 2.6.27-2 and 2.6.27-4 (at least for my 64-bit system that's what they were). 2.6.27-2 boots and runs, but the kernel-headers package for it is gone from the repos, so I can't re-install the Nvidia driver on it. 2.6.27-4 has the blacklist and won't load the e1000 or e1000e modules.

I assume we're only days away from a release of a 2.6.27 kernel patch that will take care of this, although whether it will be incorporated in *buntu 8.10 at the time of release is an open question.

Comment

I assume we're only days away from a release of a 2.6.27 kernel patch that will take care of this, although whether it will be incorporated in *buntu 8.10 at the time of release is an open question.
                    from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidIbex/TechnicalOverview
                    A problem that could result in corruption of the firmware on Intel GigE ethernet hardware has led to the disabling of the e1000e driver in the Linux kernel included in Ubuntu 8.10 Beta. Ethernet devices that use this driver cannot be used with Ubuntu 8.10 Beta; support for this hardware will be re-enabled in daily builds immediately after Beta and this issue will be resolved for the Ubuntu 8.10 final release. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/263555

Comment

Yay -- kubicle, you made my day!

Comment

Yay -- kubicle, you made my day!
                        I agree. I haven't had issues yet, but both of my systems are Intel ChipSet based and just hope there isn't any "bleed over" to the Chipsets I have.

Comment

You're OK, Moon. If you had the problem, you'd be booting a different OS, or else using a different computer. :P

Comment

Apparently it is only the e1000e and not the e1000 that has the problem. As I have the e1000 can anyone tell me if the blacklist is currently for both, before I try the Beta.

thanks

Steve
                            Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Looks like a fix will be ready for the 5th October according to this link

http://blogs.computerworld.com/when_...rnet_bug_fixed

Steve
                              Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Working...
                              X