X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Linksys WMP54G vs. Intrepid

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this one:

I've got a Linksys wireless card in one of my systems. It's been working fine with Gutsy and Hardy. However, after a fresh install of Intrepid Alpha 3 (plus all updates up to today), the card's 'invisible' to the system.

That is to say: lspci and lshw don't even show the card as installed. Kernel issue?

Has anyone else run into this problem with an Ralink RT2500-based card?

-J

UPDATE/SOLUTION:

It looks like this one's simple: When all else fails, believe what Linux tells you (i.e. It's not plugged in).

I tried was moving the card to another slot: Same results (card not seen).

But, I got out the flashlight and started looking at it and discovered: As I was tightening the holding screw to the case, it was pulling the front edge of the card ever so slightly out of the socket. It looked like it would still be making contact (the pins were still over halfway in the socket!), but it wasn't. One very minor bend to the backplate on the card later, and it's seen every boot.

I guess when I carried the computer up the stairs today, before swapping out some other hardware and reloading, the same minor movement of the card caused it to no longer be making contact.

Live and learn!

-J
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Re: [SOLVED] Linksys WMP54G vs. Intrepid

LOL!!!!! That's great.

I'm an aircraft technician and you'd be amazed at how many snags are fixed in exactly the same way.

Did Kubuntu just pick up your network card or did you have to load drivers or do any hacking to get it to work?

Kev

Comment

I had already replaced knetworkmanager with Wicd before I discovered the card wasn't being seen by the system.

After I got the card to make proper contact in the slot, Wicd immediately listed all the available wireless networks. I entered my WPA info, and less than a minute later it was connected and running with no problem.

In the past, I've had problems getting Knetworkmanager to "automatically" connect to my network - It wouldn't connect until a user logged into KDE. Wicd has no such problem, which is great for systems like my arcade cabinet/server - which don't run a desktop at all. Or any system, where you might want to run Lynx to download a file when fighting with a borked video driver.

-J
      Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

thankyou 3VI1 for this post after alot of stress searching the entire internet to find a solution your solution solved my problem my wmp54g now works out of the box with hardy and intrepid 64. thanks alot i would donate 1 dollar to you if you had a pay pal link.

Comment

Working...
        X