This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Sound missing after update to 2.6.24-25.63

Can I just say ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH.

I'm still using 3.5.10 because I use my laptop for work and gone are the days when I have time to install a system which is NOT COMPLETELY SOLID. In Adept I do not get 'proposed' or 'unsupported' updates.

So, I play it safe. How come then that my sound has disappeared since I ran the update last night? I need sound for work with clients, ie. in a couple of hours.

If I boot into the new kernal I get "xine was unable to initialise any audio drivers" when I open Amarok, and if I boot in to the previous kernal I don't get that error, but the sound isn't working.

Is there anyone from the Kubuntu team who can help explain this? I've been using Kubuntu for 4 years now and have never had this issue with a 'safe' update?

I've tried the solutions here

http://tinyurl.com/yzr8ts9

and here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102064

but with no luck.

Any help much appreciated.

Jim
    Jim Hitch<br />English Language Services Limited<br />http://www.englishlanguageservices.co.uk

Re: Sound missing after update to 2.6.24-25.63

FAQ #6 in the link in my signature has links to the classic sound troubleshooting pages.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

I've had a glance at #6 and will have an in-depth look when I get a chance. Unfortunately this is just the sort of thing that puts people off linux - even if you play it really safe you're still occasionally going to have to spend some hours going through commands you don't understand to fix something you didn't break.

Anyway, I had to do that last night on my nightmare Vista too. :P

Cheers

Jim
      Jim Hitch<br />English Language Services Limited<br />http://www.englishlanguageservices.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by jim.hitch

Unfortunately this is just the sort of thing that puts people off linux - even if you play it really safe you're still occasionally going to have to spend some hours going through commands you don't understand to fix something you didn't break.
        I hear the frustration, and cannot disagree with your observation about how people react to a broken system.

It sounds like your conservative approach to keeping a stable, reliable system is the polar opposite of mine, which is more like "boot whichever of my two Debian Sid-derived OS's happens to be working today, and see if the Beta Nvidia driver will be running video correctly, and then see what needs fixed to be productive".

And then it is always a further adventure to see if the package that I need is working on the platform that boots correctly. My livelihood does not, in general, depend upon my personal computer performing flawlessly, and my hobbies can tolerate experimental delays. No one else depends upon my Linux computers. So I can afford to be cavalier and take a "pioneering" approach to running the system at home. For example, I discovered last night that the Ekiga package in my Kubuntu Karmic RC system crashes with a core dump every time -- it is ver. 3.2.5. But, I booted sidux, updated it, and ran Ekiga, and it ran flawlessly, being ver. 3.2.6. I had no idea ... but I did get to talk to my friend in Canada that way.

However, if I were trying to be very conservative with a released Linux version, with my income, or that of others on the line, I think I would be very hesitant to install a new kernel at that moment. And I would be totally averse to removing the working-good kernel until I had subjected the system to testing with my business packages. I'm not trying to be critical or judgmental -- but it seems a little out of character to do that, with so much at stake, and on such an otherwise conservatively-managed system.

My point is this -- there are reasons for building new kernels. Something has changed, and it usually relates directly or indirectly to the evolution of computer hardware, and/or the underlying design standards. Although some of us glibly install whatever latest kernel pops up in an upgrade list, the fact is we have no rational entitlement to expect that it will perform the same as the last kernel -- matter of fact that is actually an irrational expectation, when you think about it.

Comment

You're absolutely right, of course, it's just that with the safe options of adept checked, and not the others, I let the guys at kubuntu to the work for me, and as I said, it's never been a problem before.

Yep, I should have a system to test too, but have been lulled into a false sense of security by the kubuntu people... also don't have space for a parallel system for testing on the same laptop.

I'm just trying to decide whether to squeeze in an extra partition and go for 9.10 or not.

Anyway, thanks to your pointer, I went to

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

and reinstalled ALSA. Case closed!

Jim

Comment

Re: SOLVED: Sound missing after update to 2.6.24-25.63

Depending on your exact usages, 9.10 seems to have settled down a lot in the past 3 days. You might want to burn a Live CD from the daily build, or otherwise give it a look.

Note that Intel GPU's are not all entirely happy with it -- some won't do desktop effects any more, for example.

Comment

Re: SOLVED: Sound missing after update to 2.6.24-25.63

Originally posted by dibl
              Note that Intel GPU's are not all entirely happy with it -- some won't do desktop effects any more, for example.
              An understatement for sure - I'm one of the 'unhappy' among us. When, until, or even if, the intel GPU issue gets fixed, I'll not be running Kubuntu Karmic. I'm now running my Ubuntu Jaunty as my main OS, with my Debian sid OS as my second.

I like Kubuntu, but Karmic is a big step backwards (for me), and I simply can't run it 'as is' with my intel GPU. Sad. If the intel and Karmic issue doesn't get resolved, and I want to continue to to run Kubuntu, I'll likely download and install Kubuntu Jaunty.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X