X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox - toolbars etc missing. SOLVED

Hello.

Long time since I've posted which is because I've had no problems to address! However today Firefox, for no apparent reason, has lost its toolbars and such things as 'back etc etc. I have reinstalled but no change. Out of interest I've deleted some repos but canna see how that would have created this situation.

Any ideas as all I have is the home page site with no options for navigation?

Quite important this as my partner gets crabby when 'LINUX' does not go right - she starts wailing and bemoaning the loss of Windoze.

Regards
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: Firefox - toolbars etc missing

Not sure --- I'm looking at FF on a Wintel box, but "View>Toolbars>Navigation" would appear to be what needs "x'd" on your side.

I would blame her for un-checking it ...

Plus don't forget to remind her that if you uncheck it on Windows, it will break that version too.

Then you can plan your evening in the dog house, all alone ...

Comment

First, is this problem occurring under multiple accounts on the computer in question? Does running "kdesudo firefox" from the command line also yield this problem? Be careful trying this, as you will be running Firefox with sudo/root level permissions. You don't want to use that for day to day web browsing, but it's a quick way to see if it's something wrong at the user level, instead of the system-wide/install level. If running Firefox that way still yields the problem of the missing toolbars, then it is a problem with your install, but if it does not then it's a user level problem and should be much easier to fix.

So, if it seems to be a user level problem, let's start with the simple solution: Are you seeing the menus, like File, Edit, View... etc in Firefox? If so, you should be able to quickly solve the problem with dibl's recommended View > Toolbars > Navigation.

If not, here's another option: Have you tried renaming your .mozilla folder in your home directory? It's really easy to do, just go to your home folder in your file browser of choice (default should be Dolphin), make sure you have view hidden files turned on (In Dolphin, you go to View > Show Hidden Files to do that) and then look for .mozilla, and rename it to .mozilla-old or something like that. Restart Firefox and everything should be back to default with your toolbars back. To get back any extensions and other things, you can copy and paste files from the old folder to the new .mozilla that would be created when you opened Firefox again, but be sure that the browser is closed when you're doing the copying and pasting, and do it a little bit at a time, checking to see that your missing toolbar problem doesn't resurface as a result of anything copied over.

Now, if the problem also occurred with the Firefox run under kdesudo, then it's an installation level problem, and you're going to have to make a little use of the command line. You said you tried uninstalling, yes? Well, now we're going to try purging the package when we uninstall this time.
      Code:
      apt-get --purge remove firefox
      or if you're using Firefox 3.5, try hitting tab after typing Firefox and it should either auto complete for you, or give you a list of package names to select from, but it should just be firefox-3.5. Once you've done that, you should be able to get a completely fresh reinstall of the package.

Comment

Re: Firefox - toolbars etc missing.

Hi.

Thanks to both for the responses.

Death Kitten cracked it with the renaming of 'mozilla' etc.

Worked a treat so thanks for the informative post.
        Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
        GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
        Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Then you can plan your evening in the dog house, all alone ...

Which, if you've planned carefully, is also equipped with a 52 inch HD TV, food, fridge and the appropriate accoutrements.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

Which, if you've planned carefully, is also equipped with a 52 inch HD TV, food, fridge and the appropriate accoutrements.

You too, huh?

Comment

Re: Firefox - toolbars etc missing. SOLVED

Yup!

My dog house has two laptops, a Lazyboy recliner and a supply of Grape juice and nuts (besides myself!)
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Mine has a Toyota, a Hyundai, a large work bench, an Onkyo receiver with remote control, a loaded CD player, and my old Celestion Ditton XR15 speakers, along with a LOT of tools. A lawn tractor and a snow blower. And some wine. And me and my netbook, should I choose to bring it along. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  Mine has a Toyota, a Hyundai, a large work bench, an Onkyo receiver with remote control, a loaded CD player, and my old Celestion Ditton XR15 speakers, along with a LOT of tools. A lawn tractor and a snow blower. And some wine. And me and my netbook, should I choose to bring it along. 8)
                  Your dog house sounds like fun.

You'd probably have to spend more time in it if I invited myself over, huh? :P

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten

Your dog house sounds like fun.

You'd probably have to spend more time in it if I invited myself over, huh? :P
                    It's not that great (works best as a garage). I could get you into the house.

Comment

Working...
                    X