This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Video playback crashes

I don't see any options for restricted hardware. I looked in Kinfocenter. I also tried guess and go and spoiled the native boot up so it drops me to console only. I had set start->system settings->monitor & display->hardware ->graphics card:vesa to Intel 740 (generic) .

It doesn't like it. I don't know where to go next.
    the box from K-Mart (K-Mart's sticker) says it has

Integrated Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD

I'm running from usb persitent I'd configured from my previous computer and it's got the same stuff on it. I'll cut and paste what I had done on the native partition's Desktop here:

During install a ctrl+alt+backspace reverted the gui display setting to 1024 x 768. The actual area displayed seems to be the 1440 x 900, which is the default it used running native after installing. This may have to do with it identifying my display as vesa plug'n'play.
    It's displaying it's taskbar floating higher up withing the 1024 .768 area of the displayed 1440 x 900 area of the monitor.
    I can probably change this but since it's still running off the live-cd(usb) it wouldn't be changed anyway. I'm assuming that on native boot it'll default to the 1440 x 900.

This isn't maybe anything to do with it cause after I made this note, I tried moving the taskbar to the bottom and it did and resized to normal.

So I'm on the USB live now about to reinstall. I have /home and /var on other partitions so I don't have to format and lose those.

Comment

Now we are getting closer, just google for "jaunty 4500MHD". I looks like you hit the infamous buggy Intel driver support in Jaunty. In short, Intel is doing wonderful things to support Linux, but they stretched too thin just before Jaunty.

If I were you, I wouls try Karmic's RC. It is fantastic, and Intel's issues are in the past now.

Cheers!

Comment

thanks for the info lmilano. I'm still running off the liveUSB. I've been using 8.04 cause of not impressed with the gui and changed settings locations. I've been running kubuntu since 6.06 but very much still a newbie when it comes to stuff like this. I may know a little, but a little can get you into a lot of trouble. I've tried the 9.04 w/KDE3.5 but still not there. I keep going back to 8.04 which I know the LTS is just over but it has worked for me in the past. I guess I'll just reinstall the 8.04 and shut it down and run Windows 7 for now. I don't care for MS's "improvements" either. But the version became available when I started networking school so I got it installed on the other side of the dual boot. I still have my older toshiba laptop that does run o.k. with 8.04 too so that's an option. Why ya think the developers of computers do this to everybody? Anyway I'll flame away in my own head, and get away from this. I need to chop wood anyway. Minnesota winter is almost here. Temp wise it's already started. Thanks for your input. Have a good day!

Comment

Hi

I've installed the restricted drivers, and having a look at the other posts, I have the VESA issue too, and also have the same Intel 4500 chip. Can't find a solution to it on googling, but will try Karmic when released.

Will try to remember to post anything that follows.

Jim
          Jim Hitch<br />English Language Services Limited<br />http://www.englishlanguageservices.co.uk

Comment

Thanks, jim.hitch
            I'll also post if and when I find a solution. t

[edit]
            Found a download of karmic koala but ubuntu instead of kubuntu.

I loved the gui in kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3, but since they've decided to drown it in
            fancy bells an whistles I might just as well go with it's parent distro and learn it.

Things aren't where I've become accustomed but I wasn't able to do video any distro
            I tried beyond 8.04 kubuntu. As well as not being able to run any video in the 9.04
            with KDE. With koala I was able to play video without freezing while running the
            livecd after getting the video packages needed for it's player. That caused me to
            take the dive. I'm sorry to see kubuntu go. I'm running ubuntu now natively installed
            so I guess I'll have to reget the video packages again. But the video doesn't freeze
            the computer and although thats not really important it was a bug I couldn't leave
            alone. Guess I'll have to visit the ubuntuforums now. I'll check back here though to
            see if the kubuntu team livecd offerings work. I still kept my /home partition unformatted
            so my links to here stayed put. That's cool. Also, now my keyboard's numberpad is
            working. Another bug this computer had in kubuntu. Well, I better go to sleep.
            G'nite.

Comment

Originally posted by linxuser
              I loved the gui in kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3, but since they've decided to drown it in
              fancy bells an whistles
              My thoughts exactly. The gui rocks. I'm not sure I can go to Gnome, as the functionality of Konqueror is integral to making my life much easier with my client-based teaching. Maybe another kde distro will do it?

Anyway, got a baby on my lap and need to do some paper work before tomorrow.

Jim
              Jim Hitch<br />English Language Services Limited<br />http://www.englishlanguageservices.co.uk

Comment

Jim,
                I can see your point about konqueror not being there. I've installed it on the ubuntu 9.10 but it's different. It doesn't appear on the start menu. I'm sure there's a way to get it in the menu, haven't had time yet. It launches from ubuntu's console and can be run with sudo to get root privileges. It doesn't look the same though. I've only used it to adjust privileges on files, marked one as executable and to copy to and edit files in directories not in my /home. But it does work. If you have time to do it you can run it or kubuntu version off live cd without installing. Without rebooting you can request package installs (course they only install to temp system on live cd) and they will disappear on reboot. But at least it is doable to test things out. wish I'd have waited for a live cd of kubuntu to try, but I didn't. Will someday. But the system is up and running for now. I'll get back to it later. I have to use the vmware player to install vista and do some changing and modifying according to instruction's in the course I'm taking. It needed to be installed to vmware player ver. 2.5.3 to work on this setup. Enough of that for now. Hope all goes well on your side of things.

happy, happy, happy, well, sort of-------

Daryl

Comment

Working...
                X