Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will Firefox 3.5 be added to Hardy repositories?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will Firefox 3.5 be added to Hardy repositories?

I have been patiently waiting for this to happen, but it seems to be getting pretty late. When will FF3.5 be added to the Hardy repositories?
    I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Re: When will Firefox 3.5 be added to Hardy repositories?

It won't. But, read this How to Easily Upgrade your Firefox to 3.5 (and future version) in Ubuntu to do it yourself. Read it completely, including the posted comments. There are several ways to do it, and you have to decide which one you want to use.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      It won't.
      What happens after Mozilla stops updating older versions? Where Hardy is LTS for Ubuntu, and FF is the default browser for Ubuntu, so don't security updates have to be provided for the duration, even if it means upgrading FF to a later version?
      # make install --not-war

Comment

What is Ubuntu?
        Ubuntu is designed with security in mind. You get free security updates for at least 18 months on the desktop and server. With the Long Term Support (LTS) version you get three years support on the desktop, and five years on the server.
        This, as I understand it, means that security updates are provided, not application upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          What is Ubuntu?
          Ubuntu is designed with security in mind. You get free security updates for at least 18 months on the desktop and server. With the Long Term Support (LTS) version you get three years support on the desktop, and five years on the server.
          This, as I understand it, means that security updates are provided, not application upgrades.
          But what happens when security updates require application upgrades, due to lack of upstream support?
          # make install --not-war

Comment

It would be my guess, that if a security issue required a particular package or packages to be upgraded to satisfy the issue, then the package would be included in the security update, but not otherwise.

Comment

Working...
            X