Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vmware player 2.5.3 bundle hangs in "configuring" during install on 9.10 Alpha 6

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vmware player 2.5.3 bundle hangs in "configuring" during install on 9.10 Alpha 6

Hi all,

Just upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10.

I'm trying to install the Vmware Player on the latest 9.10 Karmic Kubuntu.

All goes well, until the installer just doesnt progress on the "Configuring" message. The same installer worked fine on Jaunty 9.04. I have examined the setup log in /tmp/vmware-root, and the last entry it displays is that it built the vmnet module:

Sep 29 12:20:06.016: app| Log for VMware Workstation pid=2198 version=6.5.3 build=build-185404 option=Release
    Sep 29 12:20:06.016: app| Host codepage=UTF-8 encoding=UTF-8
    Sep 29 12:20:06.984: app| Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.
    Sep 29 12:20:07.009: app| Building module with command: /usr/bin/make -C /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only auto-build SUPPORT_SMP=1 HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/2.6.31-11-generic/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc GREP=/usr/bin/make IS_GCC_3=no VMCCVER=4.4.1
    Sep 29 12:20:18.578: app| The vmmon module loads perfectly in the running kernel.
    Sep 29 12:20:18.578: app|
    Sep 29 12:20:18.583: app| Registering file: /usr/lib/vmware/installer/vmware-installer --register-file vmware-player regular /lib/modules/2.6.31-11-generic/misc/vmmon.o
    Sep 29 12:20:18.904: app| Registering file: /usr/lib/vmware/installer/vmware-installer --register-file vmware-player regular /lib/modules/2.6.31-11-generic/misc/vmmon.ko
    Sep 29 12:20:28.613: app| Extracting the sources of the vmnet module.
    Sep 29 12:20:28.625: app| Building module with command: /usr/bin/make -C /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmnet-only auto-build SUPPORT_SMP=1 HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/2.6.31-11-generic/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc GREP=/usr/bin/make IS_GCC_3=no VMCCVER=4.4.1

I copied the entry on the command line and it built vmnet-only module perfectly. So, I'm clue-less about what might stall the installer.

Anybody having had similar problems, or know what I should do?

Kind regards,
    Gunther

Re: Vmware player 2.5.3 bundle hangs in "configuring" during install on 9.10 Alpha 6

Did you install the linux-headers for your kernel? Also you need to install build-essential.

Did you install the patch from here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

You want the file 6 posts down.

Also, once it builds and is working, you can expect to experience the mouse/keyboard focus problem described toward the end of that same thread. The fix is to add the following hack to /etc/vmware/bootstrap:

export VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=force

Comment

Re: Vmware player 2.5.3 bundle hangs in "configuring" during install on 9.10 Alpha 6

Originally posted by dibl
      Did you install the linux-headers for your kernel? Also you need to install build-essential.
      Yes, but not build-essential. Thanks. Retried immediately the installer, same result. so that leaves me with the next step:

Did you install the patch from here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

You want the file 6 posts down.
      No, I read about it and only understood it to be for Workstation version. My confusion is how anything can be patched, since I presume that the installer unpacks the same sources into the filing system, when you re-run the installer, essentially overwriting the previous patched sources?

ANyway, I downloaded the script & patch (used the 2nd script, not the first): But it reports checksum failures for all the modules. I edited the script to update the checksums found for the tar files, to let the script run its course. However, the patches reports the following failures:

Found pristine /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vsock.tar
      Backing it up to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vsock.tar.backup-6.5.2
      Found backup /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmblock.tar.backup-6.5.2
      Restoring it to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmblock.tar
      Unpacking /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmblock-only
      Found backup /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmci.tar.backup-6.5.2
      Restoring it to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmci.tar
      Unpacking /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmci-only
      Found backup /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon.tar.backup-6.5.2
      Restoring it to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon.tar
      Unpacking /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon-only
      Found backup /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet.tar.backup-6.5.2
      Restoring it to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet.tar
      Unpacking /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only
      Found backup /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vsock.tar.backup-6.5.2
      Restoring it to /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vsock.tar
      Unpacking /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vsock-only
      Testing patch
      patching file vmblock-only/linux/control.c
      Hunk #2 FAILED at 158.
      Hunk #3 FAILED at 172.
      2 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmblock-only/linux/control.c.rej
      patching file vmblock-only/Makefile
      Hunk #1 FAILED at 122.
      1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmblock-only/Makefile.rej
      patching file vmci-only/Makefile
      Hunk #1 FAILED at 122.
      1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmci-only/Makefile.rej
      patching file vmmon-only/include/x86svm.h
      patching file vmmon-only/linux/driver.c
      Hunk #1 FAILED at 1984.
      1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmmon-only/linux/driver.c.rej
      patching file vmmon-only/linux/hostif.c
      Hunk #2 FAILED at 3538.
      Hunk #3 FAILED at 3662.
      2 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmmon-only/linux/hostif.c.rej
      patching file vmmon-only/Makefile
      Hunk #1 FAILED at 122.
      1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmmon-only/Makefile.rej
      patching file vmnet-only/Makefile
      Hunk #1 FAILED at 122.
      1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmnet-only/Makefile.rej
      patching file vmnet-only/netif.c
      Hunk #1 FAILED at 194.
      Hunk #2 succeeded at 175 (offset -45 lines).
      Hunk #3 FAILED at 295.
      Hunk #4 FAILED at 541.
      Hunk #5 FAILED at 597.
      Hunk #6 FAILED at 658.
      5 out of 6 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file vmnet-only/netif.c.rej
      patching file vsock-only/Makefile
      Hunk #1 FAILED at 122.
      1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file vsock-only/Makefile.rej
      Sorry, validation of the patch has failed.
      Check VMware product name: only Workstation is supported (for now).
      Check VMware Workstation version: only 6.5.2 is supported (for now).

*Sigh* Sorry, but I tried to follow your guidance.

Thanks so far for reaching out...
      /Gunther

Comment

Bummer!

It's not obvious to me that you've done anything "wrong" there. I have also had the sad experience of seeing "Hunk" errors (no time lately, thankfully) -- you can search in VMware Community forum and find some threads on the topic.

I'm not sure what else to advise. I guess if was me, I'd give it one more shot as follows -- and do it 100% in the CLI with KDM shut down:

First, remove --purge vmware* -- just nuke it all.
        Second, install (but don't run) VMware Player 2.5.3 from the .bundle file
        Third, install the patch (via the script as you just did)

If it goes through, then you can start X and run VMware. If it fails again .... did you see Qqmike's post on Virtualbox? :P

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde....msg198256#new

Comment

Hi,

I had the same problem with Vmware-player 2.5.3 and Kubuntu 9.10 - it just hung on the installation at the 'Configuring stage'.

If you tell the installer to skip module installation, the installer completes without error and you're prompted to install the modules on first running vmplayer.

i.e.

# export VMWARE_SKIP_MODULES=true
          # ./VMware-Player-2.5.3-185404.i386.bundle --console

Cheers,
          Andrew

Comment

Good tip -- thanks Andrew!

Comment

Working...
            X