Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get a package version upgraded in the repository?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get a package version upgraded in the repository?

I'm a user of eagle (PCB design software) but the version in Jaunty is only version 4.16-r2 whereas the current release version is 5.6. How can I get the software package upgraded without breaking my system with apt?

Re: How do I get a package version upgraded in the repository?

If the software is available as a .deb package, then you can download the package and type:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb
    However, if the package has dependencies -- meaning, newer versions of other programs it needs -- that are not in the repositories, you will still not be able to install it. You would have to get the newer packages for these programs, too, and that can initiate a train of events that can break you system totally.

But it might work, so it's worth a try, if there is a deb package for the new software. If it refuses to install and mentions dependency problems, you might ultimately need to upgrade to a newer distribution.

If there is not a deb package available, you will have to compile it from source, and that is a whole new adventure. Try searching the howto guides for instructions on how to do that.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
    X