X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tightvnc on a headless server

Hi,
    What I am doing is, I have a backup system which is a collection of parts sitting on a shelf, there will be no monitor or keyboard connected and a usb mouse that I can connect as needed, as it stands now without a monitor it won't start x just a login prompt, which is no real biggie I have the drives mounted on my main system for backing up, my plan was to use krdc to look at the desktop every now and then when needed, but since x won't start krdc can't connect, so I tried tightvnc server, I can ssh in and start the vnc server, and I can connect to it locally, but when I try to connect from my main system with
    Code:
    vncviewer -via ip address name:1
    or
    Code:
    vncviewer -via username@ip name :1
    it wont accept the passwords, looking at the auth.log it says authentication failure, so I'm not sure it's even getting to the vnc server, as there is no record of a failed login in the vnc log, maybe I need to add something to my hosts.allow list.
    Idunno
    thanks Filmore

Re: Tightvnc on a headless server

Ubuntu 6.06 server amd64 as gues (running on KVM). both of them are headless without X packages installed. On Ubuntu 8.04 (host) aptitude search tightvnc ...
    campaign to cash metrics<br />PCBS

Comment

Working...
    X