This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Earth won't run/start

I installed Google Earth and when I try to run it, it disappears. That is, the icon is displayed and I get the bouncing globe but after a few seconds, it disappears. Nothing seems to happen.

So, I decided to try to run it in a terminal.

I type 'googleearth' and hit return.

I get this back:

Segmentation fault

Any idea what is going on?

Re: Google Earth won't run/start

Originally posted by kbunt
    Any idea what is going on?
    9.04, intel 32bit, nvidia: works flawlessly.
    installed off the medibuntu repositories.
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

You didn't see the message about libcrypt? If you did this should work. In the directory where google-earth is installed "mv libcrypto.so.0.9.8 libcrypto.so.0.9.8.google"

Comment

You need a fairly beefy graphics system, with GLX working, to run Google Earth under 9.04. I learned this on a Dell Dimension 2350 with an Intel 845G/GL graphics chip. It ran glxgears at 225 fps, and Google Earth would either freeze when it was about 90% loaded, or else it would segfault. So, I would look for a glxgears frame rate closer to 1,000 fps before expecting good things from Google Earth. On my own desktop, with a newish nVidia GTX260 card, it runs fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          You need a fairly beefy graphics system, with GLX working, to run Google Earth under 9.04. I learned this on a Dell Dimension 2350 with an Intel 845G/GL graphics chip. It ran glxgears at 225 fps, and Google Earth would either freeze when it was about 90% loaded, or else it would segfault. So, I would look for a glxgears frame rate closer to 1,000 fps before expecting good things from Google Earth. On my own desktop, with a newish nVidia GTX260 card, it runs fine.
          Actually, I am using Intrepid 8.10 if it matters. Just didn't look and posted in the 8.04 section.

Anyway, it is installed but like the other guy who had trouble, it won't start up. My card is the same, Nvidia 7950 GT. I don't think I should have trouble with my hardware. The Nvidia drivers are installed and the Nvidia config utility starts okay and I can access the settings.

I read that it might be a version issue and although some people are saying so, I don't know what it's based on or if my issue is related or applicable.

Do you think the libcrypto.so.0.9.8 name change applies to me?

I'm not sure what to do now but I also don't know why the seg fault is happening or what is causing that given my hardware and the fact I installed from the medibuntu repository.

Comment

Working...
          X