• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp monitoring lm-sensors

Anyone get
    lm-sensors
    (with ksensors front end)
    to work in Kubuntu 8.04.2?

Mine is only detecting CPU Core 0 and Core 1 temps.
    It is not detecting: CPU fan speed, or other Intel thermal zones (of which there are at least two ICH & motherboard), or any voltages & other hardware specs.

Motherboard:
    Intel DG33FBC

> lim-sensors has worked for me in 8.04.2 using Intel D915GAVL motherboard.

> I'm told there is no problem in Ubuntu using a DG35 Intel board.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Re: Temp monitoring lm-sensors

Although I am on 9.04 RC, I am pretty sure that my ksensors has detected everything for the past few versions... all voltages, case fans, cpu fan, temps, etc.

AMD though.

I do love using it in the tray... very nice and compact way to watch performance/problems.

Comment

lm-sensors has not shown my my fan speeds since 6.10 -- this is on an Intel D975XBX motherboard. Kind of a disappointment. It does show both CPU and GPU temps. And of course hddtemp takes care of hard drive temps.

Comment

@ kjjjjshab: AMD could make the difference:

Quote from lm-sensors FAQ
        (2009-01-08) The ICH8 (82801H) and possibly later Intel south bridges have embedded sensors. These are not yet supported, due to a lack of technical documentation and support from Intel. The OpenAMT project is supposed to help, but in practice not much is happening. Or maybe there is some hope?
        [End quote]

@ dibl: Strange, yes, since everything works with my D915GAVL, but not your 975.

Just built the G33 system and would like to monitor the temps vs fan speeds vs manual fan controllers (4 case fans). It's a Linux-only box, so no Intel Desktop Utilities (via Windows).

Thanks for the input. Hopefully someone here has some data points on the D33 board (a couple steps behind the 45's but a very popular, no-problem Intel board -- I put the Intel E8400 in it w/4 GB RAM).

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Sounds like a nice system, Mike. I've recently built two Intel systems on Asus boards, one was a P43 and one a P45. I put E8500s on them. Sorry I can't shed any light on yours.

Comment

Thanks for the input, dibl

If anyone gets a chance to check their BIOS on these newer boards, I'd be curious to compare the temp reading shown there with mine, particularly the ICH & MCH chipset.

(DG33FBC Intel mobo)
            BIOS, Advanced > Hardware Monitoring:

Processor Thermal Margin 46 C
            Mobo temp 46 C
            ICH Temp 72 C
            MCH Temp 68 C

CPU Fan 813

Comment

So what are ich and mch readings?

These are the readings available to me:

Code:
              toad@deskarch 520\27 ~ > sensors
              coretemp-isa-0000        
              Adapter: ISA adapter      
              Core 0:   +48.0°C (high = +78.0°C, crit = +100.0°C) 

coretemp-isa-0001
              Core 1:   +46.0°C (high = +78.0°C, crit = +100.0°C) 

w83627dhg-isa-0290
              Vcore:    +1.09 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +1.74 V)
              in1:     +1.86 V (min = +0.32 V, max = +1.02 V)  ALARM
              AVCC:    +3.28 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
              VCC:     +3.28 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
              in4:     +0.85 V (min = +0.01 V, max = +0.19 V)  ALARM
              in5:     +1.66 V (min = +0.02 V, max = +1.03 V)  ALARM
              in6:     +1.66 V (min = +1.82 V, max = +1.23 V)  ALARM
              3VSB:    +3.26 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
              Vbat:    +3.12 V (min = +2.70 V, max = +3.30 V)
              fan1:     0 RPM (min = 1318 RPM, div = 128) ALARM
              fan2:    1654 RPM (min = 7031 RPM, div = 8) ALARM
              fan3:     0 RPM (min = 878 RPM, div = 128) ALARM
              fan5:     0 RPM (min = 5273 RPM, div = 128) ALARM
              temp1:    +46.0°C (high = +40.0°C, hyst = -126.0°C) ALARM sensor = thermistor
              temp2:    +44.5°C (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C) sensor = thermistor
              temp3:    +11.0°C (high = +13.0°C, hyst = +13.0°C) sensor = thermistor
              cpu0_vid:  +2.050 V
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

@toad

ICH = Input Controller Hub (~ kind of like "Southbridge")
                MCH = Output Controller hub (~ "Northbridge)

Your zones look like mobo zones. Hard to tell without looking at thermal docs.
                What motherboard do you have there?

Frustrating that lm-sensors isn't working on the DG33FBC board.

Comment

My mobo:

http://www.litec-computer.de/PC-Komp...R3::16399.html
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Darn. You have an ICH10! I have just the ICH9, yet lm-sensors won't work for me.
                    Except, the quote I posted above may explain it:

Quote from lm-sensors FAQ
                    (2009-01-08) The ICH8 (82801H) and possibly later Intel south bridges have embedded sensors. These are not yet supported, due to a lack of technical documentation and support from Intel. The OpenAMT project is supposed to help, but in practice not much is happening. Or maybe there is some hope?
                    [End quote]

May be fixed with newer kernel modules -- 9.04 ( ? ).

Comment

You get any meaningful output from sensors-detect?

Comment

Yes, but:
                        Mine is only detecting CPU Core 0 and Core 1 temps.
                        It is not detecting: CPU fan speed, or other Intel thermal zones (of which there are at least two ICH & motherboard), and it does not detect any voltages & other hardware specs.

The module coretemp IS installed, but I suspect the quote from their FAQ (above) tells the story.
                        (This is in 8.04.2.)

And, btw, in sidux
                        sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
                        returns "not avaliable ... etc."

Maybe it will work in II (=newer kernel modules), I don't yet know.

Comment

I am currently running 2.6.29.1-3. Mind, I haven't subjected this mobo to Kubuntu yet. Let me know if you would like me to check 8.04-2 - I'll download the iso and stick it on Virtualbox

Comment

"Let me know if you would like me to check 8.04-2 - I'll download the iso and stick it on Virtualbox"

Very nice offer, toad!

BUT, I'm afraid that would only/mainly check how well the devs at lm-sensors have gotten the specs from your mobo maker. But, then, maybe it would indicate something about the modules in 8.04.2?

Comment

@Mike, out of curiosity I rebooted my Kubuntu system and went into my BIOS this morning to take a look at the hardware monitoring setup. In mine, when you get to the appropriate BIOS page, you have to hit "Enter" to display the current status. It will instantly show the CPU temps and also the CPU fan speed and the rear case fan speed (but not the other two, for some reason -- they show up at 000 rpms). It showed my CPU cores at 42 degrees C, whereas lm-sensors had them at 47. So there's a 5 degree "overstatement" on my hardware. Which is fine by me -- I'd rather have it overstating than understating.

So, my BIOS does read the fan speeds, but apparently there is no suitable module available for Linux/lm-sensors to use for that purpose. I think it was a prior motherboard (and BIOS version), also an Intel, that I first installed Kubuntu 6.06 or maybe 6.10 on, and that one did pick up the fan speeds and displayed them on the KDE system monitor of that version.

I've never seen the motherboard voltages displayed in Linux, like the Intel utility does for Windows. The new Kinfocenter for KDE 4 does pick up the actual (overclocked) CPU speed of 3.45GHz, whereas the prior versions simply reported the factory default speed for the X6800 of 2.93GHz.

That's the report.

Comment

Working...
                              X