X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HPLIP and printing problems...

Hello,

I'm fairly sure that printing was initially working when I installed 9.04 alpha, but now it isn't. I need to print to a LaserJet 2605dn over a network. HPLIP is apparently installed but if I click on the HPLIP Toolbox menu item, nothing happens.

Going into Adept, and clicking "more info" under the main hplip package seems to indicate that the package only contains one file - the config file.

I decided to get down the install file from sourceforge. Once down, I ran this, and it came up against a list of dependencies. Here are the messages.

INSTALL MISSING REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
    -------------------------------------
    warning: There are 4 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
    note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
    warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-devel (CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files)
    warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libusb (libusb - USB library)
    warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libtool (libtool - Library building support services)
    warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libjpeg (libjpeg - JPEG library)

INSTALL MISSING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCIES
    -------------------------------------
    warning: There are 4 missing OPTIONAL dependencies.
    note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
    warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'network': libcrypto (libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library)
    warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'network': libnetsnmp-devel (libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files)
    warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'fax': dbus (DBus - Message bus system)
    warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'scan': sane-devel (SANE - Scanning library development files)

CHECKING FOR NETWORK CONNECTION
    -------------------------------
    error:
    The network appears to be unreachable. Installation cannot complete without access to
    error: distribution repositories. Please check the network and try again.

The network is actually operational, or would not be able to post this :-)

I have also tried doing apt-get install cups-devel, but this could not find the package.

Any advice gratefully received.

Paul
    ~~~~

Re: HPLIP and printing problems...

I'm having similar problems with HPLIP 9.04 except in my case it won't install. I suggest going to the HPLIP web site. There's a lot of information available there that I've not found anyplace else.

http://openprinting.org

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html

http://packages.debian.org/sid/hplip

i hope this helps. Good luck.

mhumm2
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Working...
    X