This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Java plug-in for Firefox

How is the best way to install the Java plug-in for Firefox? It doesn't show as available in Adept or Synaptic. When trying to install from Firefox it just says "Install manually". Instructions available from the Java site are just too vague for me. Is there any way to add a repository to allow installation from Adept so I don't have to worry about dependencies? Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Re: Installing Java plug-in for Firefox

When I run "aptitude search sun" I find a number of sun java packages, including sun-java6-plugin andsun-java5-jre. I haven't messed with this for a while but I think the plugin is included in the java5 jre.

Comment

Re: Installing Java plug-in for Firefox

to get the sun java (not iced tea)

make sure that you have the multiverse enabled (guessing by the fact you don't see it in adept/syanptic its not enabled as thats the default setting)
      to turn on multiverse repo...

in adept_manager
      click on Adept(the menu in the program)-> Manage Repositories
      OR
      in synaptic
      settings->Repositories

either way you get a very similar box just make sure that the one that says multiverse is checked.

your package manager will say something along the lines of "you changes the repo settings i will need to update the package cache" in other words click the update button in adept or refresh in synaptic
      the package you want is called...

sun-java6-jre

enjoy
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: Installing Java plug-in for Firefox (Solved)

Multiverse was already checked. I was searching for Java instead of Sun. Had to install Java plug-in separate from JRE, but it all works now. Thanks much for all the help guys.
        AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

Working...
        X