This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse can't click anything

I'm running Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron on a Dell Latitude D600 laptop. This was upgraded from a 7.10 fresh install, but problem I'm about to describe existed in 7.10 as well.

Every once in awhile, seemingly at random, I lose the ability to click on anything with the mouse cursor. The cursor still moves around on command, but it does not change when entering an area where text can be selected or edited or some sort of link or button that can be clicked. Similarly, when hovering over buttons and links that normally change in color, size, or shape to indicate the mouse is hovering over them, the buttons or links do not change. Clicking right or left anywhere at all does nothing.

The only thing that seems to "fix" it is to furiously alternate between right and left mouse clicks. Eventually I'll see a right-click menu pop up and then the mouse works normally after that. Twice it never fixed itself and I had to cycle the power of the laptop. As far as I know, the CPU is not pegged, and the hard drive is not active.

I found a thread with a similar problem. That user is on 8.10 and KDE4, but the problem sounds very similar

This problem occurs no matter what mouse I use: the touchpad, the nub, an external USB wireless Microsoft mouse, or an external USB corded cheapie, got-it-free-at-a-tech-convention retractable mouse.

I would love to find a solution to this problem and put it to rest forever.
Working...
X