This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED, sort of: Firefox, Thunderbird, and mailto links

I have followed the instructions here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_ma...nt#Linux_-_KDE to get Firefox to launch Thunderbird when I click on a mailto link on a website, but it still won't do anything.

I have created network.protocol-handler.app.mailto via about:config and set it to /usr/bin/thunderbird (found by typing "type thunderbird" in Konsole). I also verified that network.protocol-handler.external.mailto was set to true. Finally, in Firefox, I made sure that the Preferences/Applications setting for mailto is "Use thunderbird (default)."

Having done all this, I still get no reaction at all when I click a mailto link, or when I select Send Link... from the File menu in Firefox.

My system is:
    Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3.5.10
    Firefox 3.0.6
    Thunderbird 2.0.0.19

This problem has existed for as long as I have been using Linux, so the version numbers are simply the most recent.

What else could be wrong?

All help appreciated.
    I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Re: Firefox, Thunderbird, and mailto links

Re: Hyperlinks don't work between applications
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The things you did didn't work for me either. I found somewhere another method, and that worked. Don't know anymore where I found it... Maybe it works for you too. Program versions etc. are the same, Hardy too.
      I have a Dutch system, so the translations of the names are probably not always completely correct.

* Start Firefox
      * Open about:config
      * Reset network.protocol-handler.app.mailto
      * Close Firefox
      * Rename mimeTypes.rdf (it's in the profile-folder of Firefox)
      You can delete it, but it's safer to rename it, so you can put it back if this doesn't work
      * Start Firefox
      * Rightclick on any page and select 'Send link' (or whatever it's called in English, it's the entrance with what you can send the url of the page by mail)
      * Fill in /usr/bin/thunderbird
      That's my path, but I guess yours is the same.

Well, that's it. Worked for me, hope it works for you too.

Comment

The thread Snowhog posted a link to was written back in the Firefox 2.x days. I think things changed with FF3. I know that FF3 and T-bird linked to each other without me doing any set up with my latest install of II 8.10. All I did was make them my default apps for web browser and email.

Comment

SOLVED, sort of: Re: Firefox, Thunderbird, and mailto links

Okay, here's what finally worked:

I went into Firefox Preferences, Applications tab, mailto entry. I selected "Other" from the dropdown and browsed to /usr/bin and selected thunderbird. All of a sudden, all is right with the mailto world. I don't know why that should be any different than typing it in or copy/pasting it in, but there you go.

I'd sure like to know why everything else didn't work, but then, there are a lot of things I'd like to know.

Thanks to all for the advice. Maybe this will help someone else.
          I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Comment

Working...
          X