X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My .strigi folder contained 47.5GB!

Hi all,

I just discovered this morning that i only had a few free gigs on my HD left after only recently purchasing a new one. After spending some time trying to account for it I discovered that most of the data was concentrated in my .strigi folder actually ~/.strigi/Clucene. It contained 47.5GB of data.

I found it contained several enormous data files, some of them nearly as large as 5GB.
    _4nor1.cfs, _6njxy.fnm, _2ntku.cfs and a whole bunch of other ones and am a little uncertain of their nature.

What is more mysterious is that when I looked at the contents of the directory in d3lphin it seemed like the contents of the directory started re-permuting itself.I found I had to kill the strigi thread to stop this from happening.

I haven't had any experience with the strigi program in the past, but I'm just wondering if anyone is able to shed some light on why this may be so?

Cheers.

Re: My .strigi folder contained 47.5GB!

My experience is that most things that catalogue your entire computer work out to be crap.
    By design Strigi belongs in that heap of dung, Google desktop might be a little better but it'll still drag down performance in an unacceptable way.
    This type of 'general Data Base utility' will only work on the fast computers with little data (<2GB) and lots (>50%) of free space.

Comment

Strigi (in 8.04 at least) = POS. Almost everyone who experienced what Strigi does when the daemon is enabled, quickly stopped the service never to have it start again.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For me on 8.04 recoll is working pretty well. I really need such an indexing program because I have a lot of documents I have to search through often.
        I tried them about all, and recoll is the only one that worked well for me. Maybe it works for you too.

Comment

Yes well my first course of action was to remove the program and delete the folder. At this stage I have no real neeed for anything like that.

What was of interest to me was how it got so large without me even using it?

Comment

Working...
          X