X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing old kernels...

Hi.

I am wondering how best to go about removing old kernels that take up space in my /boot partition?

I suppose I could manually remove the old kernel files, but I don't want to delete something that's not supposed to be deleted and end up reinstalling Kubuntu. Naturally, I'd like to be able to use Adept Manager (GUI) or apt-get (CLI). I just don't know which particular packages to specify.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dai
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Re: Removing old kernels...

Using Adept is a better way to do it.
    In Intrepid choose the green box - installed and type 'linux' in the search box.

It will show you for example, linux-image 2.6.27-4-generic, linux-image 2.6,27-7-generic, linux-image 2.6.27-9-generic and maybe more.

It's a good idea to keep two, so if you don't need 2.6.27-4 you can unistall or remove it and then adept will update grub automatically for you and next time you log in you wil have the options that you want only.

Try one first and see what happens. Generally, after getting a new kernel, try it out for a while and always keep one older version that you know works.
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Earlier > HOWTO: Removing unnecessary entries from the grub menu list (a.k.a removing old kernel packages and rewriting new menu.lst)
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I can support that as things have a nasty habit of going pear shaped within the next 5 minutes after you have decided to delete!

I tried the adept way but ran into trouble when a CLI blue box came up to select what to do with the grub menu.

Another way and in no way any better was to manually delete them in your konsole with the command:

sudo apt-get purge linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic

Here I was getting rid of linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic and it clears out all the associated files and edits your grub menu etc

So you would insert

sudo apt-get purge

and then the name of the spare kernels you have.

Here is another question. Why is my most up to date kernel 2.6.24-22 when the newest linux one is maybe 28? Is the ubuntu one a different one?

Second question. If I had trouble updating my kernel to 23 ( which I did- got through to loading the desktop and went black) do I wait til 24 or try to fix it or what?

Or is it because I am running compiz?
        Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Rog131:
          HOWTO: Removing unnecessary entries from the grub menu list
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082556.0
          (includes kernel-talk)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Why do people remove the old kernels? Is it just a space issue?

Linux user #199542<br />WARNING:Got Unsolicited BITE_REPLY

Comment

Originally posted by andybleaden

Here is another question. Why is my most up to date kernel 2.6.24-22 when the newest linux one is maybe 28? Is the ubuntu one a different one?
              You can run a more recent kernel -- perhaps even successfully. Right now I have
              Code:
              john@john-laptop:/boot$ uname -a
              Linux john-laptop 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Thu Nov 27 18:44:42 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
              john@john-laptop:/boot$
              And that's probably what most Kubuntu 8.04 users have as it was the latest offering, to hit my box anyway.

When it comes to kernel changes, when the number that changes is closer to the left end of the string than it is to the right end, the more significant the change. With Kubuntu a specific kernel is selected from which the set of user functions is determined and the whole thing is stirred up together, compiled, tested and released. Once a specific iteration of Kubuntu is released (i.e., 8.04), everything pretty well fits together.

If there are kernel changes needed for security or functionality purposes, the less impact that change has on the total package, the better. You don't want to have to retest, in depth, some 20,000 or so packages for a minorkernel tweak -- that's expensive in time and labor. So very minor changes will occur within the same kernel "family" (i.e., 2.6.24). More significant kernel requirements that may impact more packages in even more significant ways are pushed out to some next major release (i.e., 8.10 or 9.04) where significant user changes are also going to occur anyway.

Keeping kernel changes to very minor tweaks in an existing family means more stability throughout the life of that release. Some packages will change (i.e., security fixes, functionality fixes) and those could actually cause a kernel tweak. Keeping the entire release set as stable as possible while accommodating defined change with minimal impact is the name of the game.

Like I said, you're welcome to try a later kernel, and you could even be successful. However, the risk exists for failure somewhere in the suite of unchanged software.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by riffraff
                Why do people remove the old kernels? Is it just a space issue?

I think that is it simply something to do. If you leave the existing kernels there, what else do you have to do?
                If you remove a kernel, or something else, you have an opportunity to NOT read how to do it well and make a mess, then you can have fun asking for help to recover.
                HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

how true

that why we don't use windows cos you can't bugger it up so easily....and then fix it again!

Actually in answer jglen I have tried to run the same one you have but it did not work
                  as I said in my post which was a pain....

thanks for all the other info though that makes it a great deal clearer
                  Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

I ended up deleting the old kernel files manually from the terminal. I first tried removing them via Adept, but it somehow only removed the entries from the list without physically removing the files. I may have done it wrong, but instead of exploring further, I went back to the good ol' CLI way.

I guess I would have left the old kernels alone if I had enough space on my /boot partition.
                    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
                    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

does do it properly via the konsole method. I like it as well as you can follow what it is doing and go back over it afterwards and see how much it actually requires the pc to do...I need to get out more I realize after I re read the last bit of that

Comment

I had exactly same question about kernels but I have my answer in previous posts.
                        One bit off-topic:

- What about Python?
                        I have python2.4 and python2.5, so can I remove older one, and If yes - than how?
                        Kubuntu Karmic Koala AMD64bit Acer Aspire 7520

Comment

Working...
                        X