This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail and Base64 coded mails

Sometimes I receive Mails from Lotus Notes Clients which are coded like this:

Code:
    Content-transfer-encoding: base64
    Content-type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
    If I save this mail on my Harddisk I get a file with a Base64-content. I have to convert this
    file with another program to make it "human readable".
    Is it possible to change a setting in kmail, so I can save my mails uncoded ?
    Unfortunately I did not found a possibility to change this in kmail.

Can somebody help me please?

Thanks a lot.

Mark

Re: Kmail and Base64 coded mails

I am using KDE3.5 with Kmail 1.9.10.

When I go to Settings > Kmail > Security > tab Read, I can choose "Automatically decode messages ..." (translated)

On the same tab, there's also an option to import Keys and Certificates; I don't know if you need to enable it.
    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Hi,

thank you for your hint, but I think at the securtiy-area you can only change the settings for mails you have to ENCRYPT or
      DECRYPT for security reasons.

Base64-Code will be used if you want to transport 8-bit binary data per mail, becaus the smtp protocol can only handle
      7-bit ASCII. On this way it is possible to transport binary files like programs for example as attachment with your mail.

Comment

new attempt:

Maybe this link can be of help (although it deals mostly with e-mail encryption): http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7616
        ... Another method is to encrypt the file with KGPG and send the encrypted file as an attachment. KMail automatically decrypts the attachment for viewing (select view not open). For Web-based e-mail clients, you can download the file and decrypt or view it with Konqueror.
        Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Hi,

the problem seems to be that lotus notes uses UTF-8 and this charset must be transfer encoded in base64
          or quoted-printable to allow safe transmission across seven-bit mail servers.
          Infos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_and_e-mail
          But I don´t know why kmail can´t handle it.

I used thunderbird for a test and if I change the default extension .EML to .TXT I can save my mail in a perfect style.

Comment

Then I can't help you.

The only related thing I can see right now is to try to set the primary font encoding to utf-8 in Settings > Appearance > Messag window or so (5th tab)

Could also be a bug, maybe you should file it.

Comment

Originally posted by JohanLingen
              The only related thing I can see right now is to try to set the primary font encoding to utf-8 in Settings > Appearance > Messag window or so (5th tab)
              No effect......

Originally posted by JohanLingen
              Could also be a bug, maybe you should file it.
              Thats my opinion too....
              Thank you anyway for your tips...

Bye..

Mark

Comment

Working...
              X