This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abnormal Flash Plugin behaviour.

I've found an odd issue with the Flash Plugin that's been driving me nuts and I can't figure it out. I've googled this for hours with no resolve, so I figured that I'd post my issue here.

I have Kubuntu 8.04 installed on both my desktop PC and my laptop and both PC's have the same problem. Both PC's have Firefox 3 and adobe flashplugin installed. I also tried the flash plugin-non free on both PC's, but this was even worse off.

The problem is... when viewing websites with Flash, often times, the links don't work. For example... When I follow this link: http://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/en/ and click on the
    2009 Frontier image, a new window pops up but I can't select any of the links - like "Price & Options" or even the "Close" button in the top right corner. The PC isn't frozen and Firefox still responds, but the Flash controls refuse to follow any links. But I can select the HTML links at the very bottom of the page where it says "Francais", "Nissan Global", "About", etc...

I have the same problem with the Ford website. If I go to build and price a vehicle, I can't select certain check boxes to select/de-select certain vehicle options. This makes car shopping rather frustrating.

Do you have any ideas what might be causing this?

Cheers,
    Shaun

Re: Abnormal Flash Plugin behaviour.

I went to the Canadian Nissan site that you quoted. Yes, there seems to be a problem. If you check the Flash version that Firefox is using (aboutlugins) it's probably a version 9. My guess is that Nissan, and maybe Ford too, are using a different version of Adobe Flash to build their sites and it may not be rendering correctly on your machine. You can try to grab a newer version and see if that works for you.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

And if it ends up being something wrong with Flash itself, there's really not much to do aside from reporting it to Adobe themselves. ;/
      KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Perhaps, or to the webmaster at each site. But you might try to get the newer version of flash to see if that works, first.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490
          Perhaps, or to the webmaster at each site. But you might try to get the newer version of flash to see if that works, first.
          I currently have the latest Flash, version 10, installed on both PC's.
          If I use my brother-in-law's PC with Windows XP and Firefox, the site works fine.
          Any other idea's?

-Shaun

Comment

-=BUMP=-

Any other ideas?

Comment

I have not checked the sites you posted, but i am having similar problems with some sites. On 8.04, with flash 9 the sites work, but on 8.10 with flash 10 they don't work. This is just a comment and not a request for help. I'll figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                I have not checked the sites you posted, but i am having similar problems with some sites. On 8.04, with flash 9 the sites work, but on 8.10 with flash 10 they don't work. This is just a comment and not a request for help. I'll figure it out.
                OK, so I grew a bit impatient and decided to reformat and install Kubuntu 8.10. I added Firefox 3.0 and adobe flashplugin (Flash version 10) and the problem still persists.

Any other ideas?

Comment

For some reason, I had swfdec-mozilla installed, removing it seemed to fix my problems.

Comment

I just tried the Nissan link. If I choose a "vehicle class" from the top menu row, I can pick "Trucks & Minivans", and then in the drop down menu I can pick one of the Frontier models, and the menus work -- I can click "specifications" and get the spec sheet.

I'm not exactly certain how I ended up with the particular combination of plugins on Firefox, but here's what I see on "Tools>Add-Ons>Plugins":

Shockwave Flash 10.0 r15
                    Shockwave Flash 9.0 r999. Gnash 0.8.4, the GNU SWF Player
                    Shockwave Flash 10.0 d20

among other stuff (media players).

So, you might want to install the package mozilla-plugin-gnash, if you don't have it.

As well as grabbing the latest flash player from Adobe, if you don't have this "d20" release. I happen to be running the 64-bit Kubuntu but I doubt that is relevant to anything here.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      I just tried the Nissan link. If I choose a "vehicle class" from the top menu row, I can pick "Trucks & Minivans", and then in the drop down menu I can pick one of the Frontier models, and the menus work -- I can click "specifications" and get the spec sheet.

Yeah, I can do that too, but when I go to build and price it no longer works. Try doing this and let me know if it works for you.

1) Go to http://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/en/.
                      2) Click on the 2009 Frontier image at the bottom of the page.
                      3) A new window pops up but I can't select any of the links - like "Price & Options" or even the "Close" button in the top right corner.

The PC isn't frozen and Firefox still responds, but the Flash controls refuse to follow any links. Do you have the same problem?

-Shaun

Comment

Yep, same behavior here -- the links don't work when you do it that way. Starting from the menu at the top seems to work better -- I can get to the "build your Frontier" part and get pricing.

I dunno -- not sure if it is a problem with the Flash implementation for Linux on this end, or the programming on the Nissan site's end.

Another thought -- I wonder if they've used Shockwave, at least in part. Shockwave doesn't work for Linux. (OK, unless you install Firefox for Windows in Wine, and then copy in a Shockwave folder off a real Windows machine ....).

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                          Another thought -- I wonder if they've used Shockwave, at least in part. Shockwave doesn't work for Linux. (OK, unless you install Firefox for Windows in Wine, and then copy in a Shockwave folder off a real Windows machine ....).
                          Huh, I didn't know that Shockwave doesn't work for Linux. I tried the steps on a Windows XP machine and the links works perfect on there, so you might be on to something.

-Shaun

Comment

i recommend going into your add/remove programs and download your macromedia flash plugin, and also im giving you a website to check out you will want to do this

http://www.dailygyan.com/2008/11/10-...mediately.html

these are 10 things you will want to get threw your terminal on your system settings
                            : mine is under konsole terminal, just copy and paste the bold black lettering into your terminal and hit enter and its pretty self explanatory from there, a couple of them you might have to play with to get to work, and also stay on top of your updates you can get behind on them and they help keep things running well, and also get stumble upon downloading from the net and take a look at it youll like it i promise, take care

Comment

That's a good one Cowboy -- thanks!

Personally, I'd rather use Ekiga than Skype for VOIP -- Ekiga is open source, and many say it is less picky about the hardware setup. But, that's just a matter of taste.

Comment

Working...
                              X