Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOLVED: Virtualbox Issue. Please Help if You Can !!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Virtualbox Issue. Please Help if You Can !!!

Hello;

My kernel is 2.6.24-22-generic. I've already installed Virtualbox when I was using ..21-generic. With my kernel upgrade, it seems there is no -22-generic. A search on the module turned this thread up:

Hi,

When they release a new kernel, you have to rerun the setup for virtualbox. I don't have the command but if you open a terminal and type in VirtualBox you should get the message that says what to do. I have upgraded to the newer kernel and reran the setup and all is ok. This needs to be done each time you get a kernel update.
    Well, I've tried this:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install virtualbox

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Note, selecting virtualbox-ose instead of virtualbox
    virtualbox-ose is already the newest version.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
     libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxbase2.8-0 linux-headers-2.6.24-21-generic
     linux-headers-2.6.24-21
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
    $
    How do I get the Virtualbox drivers updated to match my kernel version?

mhumm2
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: Virtualbox Issue. Please Help if You Can !!!

Virtualbox-ose in the repos doesn't allow you to recompile the kernel modules. You have to wait until the maintainer adds the new modules for the new kernel. Likely will not happen. Really, you should just go and download the full version from VirtualBox. They allow home users to use it without licensing. They have a DEB download and it installs rather well. With it, any future Kernel updates you can then recompile it's modules with the command mention in this forum.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
    http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...5649#msg145649

Comment

Moonrise, thanks for responding so quickly. I took your advice and ran into a problem. After removing virtualbox-ose, I attempted to install the deb package:

Code:
      (Reading database ... 122009 files and directories currently installed.)
      Unpacking virtualbox-2.1 (from .../virtualbox-2.1_2.1.0-41146_Ubuntu_hardy_i386.deb) ...
      debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
      debconf: (Dialog frontend will not work on a dumb terminal, an emacs shell buffer, or without a controlling terminal.)
      debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
      debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
      debconf: (This frontend requires a controlling tty.)
      debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype
      dpkg: error processing /media/disk/download/virtualbox/virtualbox-2.1                           _2.1.0-41146_Ubuntu_hardy_i386.deb (--install):
       trying to overwrite `/lib/modules/2.6.24-21-generic/misc/vboxdrv.ko', which is also in package virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.24-21-generic
      Errors were encountered while processing:
       /media/disk/download/virtualbox/virtualbox-2.1_2.1.0-41146_Ubuntu_hardy_i386.deb
      What would you suggest?

mhumm2
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Go back trough Adept-Manager and make sure the OSE version is removed. Run this command first and then try installing the DEB again.

Code:
        sudo apt-get autoremove

Comment

If you are having problems upgrading to the latest version of virtualbox then follow the instructions here;http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-ins...rdy-heron.html
          If you are going to install virtualbox for the first time also look at these instructions. This way you will get updates for your system without any download errors.

Yamaha Guy!

Comment

Originally posted by yamaha

Yamaha Guy!
            OK, I'll bite.

Motorcycle or guitar?

Comment

electric bass 8)

Comment

Originally posted by yamaha
                electric bass 8)
                8) Cool! 8)

Comment

Working...
                X