Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated Kubuntu 8.04.1 in VBox, now Desktop won't change sizes to fit screen

I haven't seen this one before; running default Kubuntu 8.04.1 (just updated 83 items; no Desktop Effects) in VirtualBox 2.0.6 (with Guest Additions) on Ubuntu 8.04.1 (all updates).

The Desktop(s) appear normally when maximized, but I can't adjust window size at all in VirtualBox. When I RightCtrl+F to reduce the window size, it only shows the upper part of the Desktop. I can't see the lower Taskbar at all. I can't drag the edges of the window either.

Suggestions anyone?

EDIT - Restarting Kubuntu didn't help, so I shut down VBox and shut down my computer completely just on the off-chance it would help. It did, somewhat. Now I can resize Kubuntu in VBox, but when it is not full-screen I can't scroll up and down to see the bottom of the Desktop so I still can't see the Taskbar. Hmmm, this may be a Vbox issue rather than Kubuntu. Never noticed it 'til after the updates to Kubuntu though.

2nd Edit - My Ubuntu 8.10 install seems to run normally in VBox, resize etc. sems OK. Suspicion is back on Kubuntu. I'll have to see if it's a screen resolution issue; the Desktop is always to big for the window containing it unless I RightCtrl+F to use Fullscreen Mode.

3rd Edit - Screen resolution seems to be correctly set at 1280 x 768 same as the host resolution. Perhaps it is a windows behavior issue, but I'm not conversant enough with Kubuntu to recognize anything wrong in the Window Behavior under Look & Feel in System Settings. Enough for tonight, I'll try again tomorrow. Suggestions still welcome!

Re: Updated Kubuntu 8.04.1 in VBox, now Desktop won't change sizes to fit screen

I don't know if this will help you, but I have had similar problems and I re-installed the Guest Additions package (within the virtual machine as I was virtualising XP).
    Then do: "sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" in a terminal to re-initialise the drivers. Worked for me - but who knows??

Comment

Re: Updated Kubuntu 8.04.1 in VBox, now Desktop won't change sizes to fit screen

Hey THANKS! PhilT! That did the trick for my KBuntu 8.04.1 VM; now if I can just get that to work on my 8.10 VM, I'll be set. Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
      X