Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Solved)Upgrade openoffice from 2.4 to 3.0 Help please.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Solved)Upgrade openoffice from 2.4 to 3.0 Help please.

I really have a hard time when it comes to working with .tar .
    I was trying to follow some instructions on how to do an OpenOffice upgrade and got completely lost.
    Here's what happened.
    1] It said to get rid of the OpenOffice 2.4 that came with the Hardy dist. I did that.
    2] Download the Linux version from the OpenOffice site I did that.
    This is where it got weird. The package didn't go to my desktop where all downloads are directed to go. So I can't find it. I thought I would get an icon I could right click on and get an option to unpack and install. Didn't happen.
    Then I did a search using Konsole and found the following:
    OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358
    .openoffice.org2

I have no idea what to do next. Can anyone walk me through this?

harecanada
    harecanada<br />Running Kubuntu Hardy Heron<br />Dell Inspiron 531<br />500 gb HD<br />3 gb RAM

Re: Upgrade openoffice from 2.4 to 3.0 Help please.

Try this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098394.0

Comment

OK, so I downloaded the package to my Desktop. Then I right clicked and opened it with Ark. I don't know what the next step means.
      3. enter /a/b/c/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/ (for the English version) and type

a) for 32 bit architecture:
      Code:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Enter it where? What do I replace /a/b/c/ with in /a/b/c/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/ ?

harecanada

harecanada<br />Running Kubuntu Hardy Heron<br />Dell Inspiron 531<br />500 gb HD<br />3 gb RAM

Comment

Hi harecanada,

Ark is KDE's archiving manager. You use it to extract the deb files from the tar.gz you downloaded (as stated in step 2). You need to do that first.

Step 3 is on the command line using cd - you need to get into the packages you just downloaded and unpacked.

HTH
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by harecanada
          OK, so I downloaded the package to my Desktop. Then I right clicked and opened it with Ark. I don't know what the next step means.
          3. enter /a/b/c/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/ (for the English version) and type

a) for 32 bit architecture:
          Code:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Enter it where? What do I replace /a/b/c/ with in /a/b/c/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/ ?

harecanada

The "/a/b/c" is the directory where you told Ark to unpack the file, annd all the rest is done at the command line. I always put my downloads in a directory like "/home/john/Downloads". Then I just unpack it from there such as "/home/john/Downloads/OOo3", or anything that I can remember easily. Once you've done that, you follow the directory structure down to the / ................. /DEBS" directory and do the "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" thing. The dpkg -i will extract and install the whole thing to wherever it needs to go -- in this case "/opt/openoffice.org3".

It's not as easy as installing a regular package from Adept just because when Kubuntu has a release, there are no major package upgrades (unless it's really necessary for security or because something went horribly wrong to begin with). A major update CAN cause issues, but in exceptional cases an upgrade such as OO0 2.4 to OOo 3 can be done without a significant impact on the OS itself or the integrity of the release. Could Canonical do it in a different, perhaps more user convenient method? Sure, but with their 6 month release cycle, they hardly have time to keep up with minor updates and security patches much less potential major development and test.

But Toad's process should work quite well -- Toad is good!!
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

(Solved) Re: Upgrade openoffice from 2.4 to 3.0 Help please.

This solved it for me. I'm running Kubuntu but still worked it out.
            http://openofficedocs.wordpress.com/...-30-on-ubuntu/

Thanks

harecanada

Comment

Working...
            X